Just bought an octatrack. So yeah

As the Digitakt has Overbridge, and can too be fodder for the OT I would overthink getting rid of it. I’m grooving on the digitakt, overbridge that into the laptop, and chop there up for the octatrack. Althought the Octatrack can do as much and more as the Digitakt they both complement each other very well.
Also imagine playing the digitakt live, and live sample and mangle it with the octatrack if you are into that kind of stuff.

3 Likes

I think it would be wise to hold onto the DT. As mentioned, they are a powerful combo. After getting the OT, you quickly realize how many other items you own are now unnecessary? But, you should keep the DT. The OT is a blast for those who “get it”. And it is a powerhouse all by itself, but you will appreciate having 8 (!) extra audio tracks, especially once you start to use the OT’s tracks with sample buffers, thru tracks, neighbor tracks, etc. They fill up quickly, and yes, resampling is an option, but who wants to do that?! Nobody answer. It’s a rhetorical question. :cheeky:

But seriously, the DT adds an extra level of functionality as well as another sonic layer in the form of both sample food and sonic mayhem that sounds great with the OT. Plus, you can sync them so that the patterns on the DT change in tandem with the OT, which is truly bonkers. Using a ctrl-all on DT with scenes on OT? Yeah, it’s addictive.

1 Like

I can second that. I originally wanted to sell my DT after I bought the OT. My intetion was to just keep it long enough in order to finish all the songs I started on it. Then the new firmware dropped and I think I’m going to keep it. It’s just too much fun.

1 Like

Haha, it’s amazing how a new machine gets you thinking about the devices you already have, right? Either about replacing or enhancing them. I see what you mean about pairing the DT and OT thought, and I can imagine it’s a bunch of fun. I’m definitely not getting rid of anything before I really know for sure how the OT is going to fit in my live set and writing process. And you’re right about the DT, it is so much fun and so easy to make good stuff on it. I’ll just have to see if I can get close on OT. At the same time I’m all about keeping my setup as clean as possible, so if I can play live with just the OT, DN, my guitar and a few pedals I’m happy.

(I just thought of how silly it is for me to be be concerned about 2 small machines like the DT and an MPC and a few pedals when I’m lugging around 2 big ass full tube guitar amps to every show I play :smiley: They’re so heavy! But they sound awesome.)

I used to be convinced that the DT and OT would be a great combo. I’m sure it is for most but the more I use my OT and get comfortable with it the less I deem the need for anything else.

And after years of OT ownership I only just got round to using Octachainer which has been incredible and sortv of killed off what I like most about the DT - it’s ability to easily create very musical lead/bass sounds. Now I just chain up the sounds I like and away I go.

I’m almost, just about, ready to start thinking about parts next…!

Man, I just bought an OT…for the FOURTH TIME! It’s going to stay for good this time. I just couldn’t resist the constant reminders in my mind on how cool OT is and got pissed at myself for never really using it to anywhere near its potential.
Truly a brilliant instrument!!! I just wish it had a huge battery in it…

4 Likes

@Astromass That’s pretty impressive congrats :+1: I’ve only bought the OT twice & DT twice :man_shrugging:

I think I’m on to my 5th time with it! Once owned one for all of about 6 days…:joy:

I must’ve bought and sold the AK 3 or 4 times too. Bonkers. Not returning to that one though!

1 Like

After a couple months of owning my OT I sold my DT. On some levels I regret it. I prefer the envelopes in DT…super snappy. The verb was nice and the compressor was unique, though the OT compressor is more useful to me. The extra tracks were nice. But, I sold the DT to partially fund an A4mkii and have no regrets about the A4. Current rig is OT/A4/MicroMonsta/modular and I’m really happy with the setup

3 Likes

Batterie inside could be a little bit difficult but outside mounted no problem at all:

pray for me brothers, i just got OTmk2 , first day fresh. Never had any Elektron boxes before. Just some modular/ciat lonbarde gear…

5 Likes

See you in 2021 :grin:

1 Like

The OT is seriously addictive. I keep coming back to it…making fresh beats. What’s awesome is that it takes awhile to learn, so there is something new to learn or a new way of routing stuff through it that makes it feel really deep. This functionality leads to new creative places that you don’t expect.

For example, I just found out (from this equally addictive forum) that you can take a synth or whatever, sequence it, then route it to a thru machine, and affect the sound with trigs locked to filter, envelope, delay parameters to completely alter the original sequence/sound. It’s was like, oh snap, I didn’t even think of that and now I’m going to run it like that all the time. Search this forum on a regular and bookmark ideas that other people use. Sort of like crowd-funding your own creativity.

Oh, and I didn’t have an extra synth to sequence that wasn’t already being used so I looked around my studio and grabbed my GR20 guitar synth. Uses midi. Haven’t really used it for a couple years but all of a sudden it’s like s totally new sound source to be sequenced, arpeggiated, sampled, and otherwise mangled.

5 Likes

That’s a nice one!

I love doing this with my synths. It’s one of my main modes of track variations now.

It turns your OT into an immediate remix tool!

This is great. I am eyeing one too so will be excited to hear of your exploration. I’m pushing 50 so it’s starting to feel like I’m in “why the hell not” mode a lot.

I will say, I started with a Digitone Keys a month or so ago and couldn’t believe how much I appreciated the hardware workflow over buffers and plug-in validation and updates and bloated hard drives and… took me back to the 80’s and 90’s when “technology” was two MIDI cables. Ideas started flowing. So much more fun.

But it’s dangerous because once you get into the Elektron workflow, you get hooked. A DT followed a week after the Digitone! Now I’m feeling like the Analog Four is speaking to me…

7 Likes

P.S. Do you miss not having Overbridge on the OT?

I might like to try running my Microfreak like this, but only two inputs! My Mac is in to Octa and Mpc. Then Mpc in to Octa. So my freak has to run into kaossilator in to mpc.
Octa sends out to Scarlett having only one stereo in. I’m seeing how a mixer could improve my options, especially after I add an OP-z to the mix. Maybe in a couple months when I get the op-Lab I’ll get a Mackie. So my question is how do I contract the midi in the method you’re talking?

Not a bit. But maybe that’s just me. The reason why I use hardware in the first place is to get away from the computer. I work in the field of software development and 10h a day in front of a screen is simply enough.

Having control over each minuscule detail of every track and remotely control every possible parameter may be a need when you want to become more efficient in your music making. But for me music is simply recreational.

Nevertheless: what I really like about the OT in regards to its computer integration is its simple USB drive mode. So getting stuff from and to the machine is simply copy & paste.

13 Likes

Great perspective! Thanks.