Jumping into the modular madness!?

Hi folks,

i just can’t get enough of modular VCO’s! im obsessed with the shapeshifter, piston Honda or the braids.
I would love to control one of these monsters with my A4, but i don’t know how i can pull it of staying at a low budget. (i know modular =/= budget but i just want to start as simple as possible)

My noobish plan is to just get a DIY case and the Braids from mutable instruments
Analog 4 going into the braids trig in going out from the braids into the analog 4 adding A4 effects…

is that anywhere near reality, or do i HAVE to get a VCA/Filter/Midi converter/ volume module etc etc.?
sorry if im asking questions you already heard often enough, but i took some time searching for a short and case specific answer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
thank you very much in advance

As a starter, no you don’t. Braids has an inbuilt VCA, and you can use the filters in the A4 for the time being. I think if you’re just buying the one Euro VCO, then Braids is the obvious choice because it’s a ton a VCOs.

As far as the case goes, ever considered a TipTop Happy Ending Kit? Relatively inexpensive, and a lot less hassle than building your own case.

2 Likes

thanks for your fast response thats a huge relief for me. i just found out about this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2_A_tSgEXQ

I’ve seen the happy ending kit, just sent an email to them ;-D
so a built in VCA would be pretty handy, and now im torn between the braids and the Erica synth black wavetable VCO :-/
i totally love the formant modes and fm sounds O.O

Same with shapeshifter. Even more possibilities but also more complicated I assume. Braids is great though. Klavis twin waves would also be interesting but I don’t think it has a vca built in
Edit: and the SS only in percussion mode?

a short while i tried the same…
got a dpo as new frend for ak

believe me you wont just get satisfied with just one vco.
to put the modular thru a4 filters is interesting but not what I wanna do all the time.
one vca seems a bit parsimonious and obviously I want more options and modulations since its a modular

Braids is mental, I have 2, if I had space and money I’d add another 2…
Don’t be fooled by it’s front panel, it has a world of sounds to explore…

Check this manual, and if you don’t get all fizzed up it’s not for you!
http://www.vo1t.com/Euro/BraidsIllustrated1.7.pdf

This video effectively ‘forced’ me into the modular abyss, and I’m so glad!

2 Likes

Braids is great. Regarding space, there is also the diy micro braids. Same fuctions but 8 hp. I also have to mention the bees in the trees firmware. Packs a lot of extra functions. Self modulation, meta sequencer, turing machine etc Really crazy

yea i just don’t know if its the aesthetics, or that i got ‘‘deflowered’’ from the Erica synth black wave first…
i know the braids is a beast but the black wavetable from Erica is also stunning like in a dark mystic alien way :-/

but then again there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM1X3iL1-Oc

insanely awesome i love our time ;-D
PS: so to clearly say it i just need a vco and VCA (probably built in) with CV cables to get starting
and again: thank you very much

PPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_aqpwpMkn8

We could play that game forever. There is an insane amount of great oscillators in euro. Choosing only one is not easy :wink:

yea thanks… well i think im gonna delve into the noisey void :smiley: (and becoming broke af)

https://youtu.be/oRKYWV0yFKE :notes:

1 Like

I built a little system recently because I wanted to use braids. What can I say? Best gear-decision in years! A LFO and an envelope would be a good thing to add or you are very limited. It´s amazing and suprising what you can do with a very basic setup already. Having the Braids only as an additional oscillator in your A4 would be sad imho. Here is my rack, the stuff in the lower left is only a reminder to myself.

1 Like

I’d say A4 plus braids is a great combo and you can do a lot with it.
However it’s difficult to stop there.

1 Like

It’s not necessary to buy anything but a VCO if you are driving it from the A4.
You can send CV from the 4 x A4 CV outputs to control it, then send the audio from the VCO into the A4 inputs.
Activate one of the A4 voices as EXT, then you can use the A4’s envelopes, vca’s, effects etc to control and shape the sound.
As I said it’s not necessary for anything but a VCO with the A4, but good luck stopping there haha.
My fav euro osc is the shapeshifter. Awesome

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: sorry pal, I have to welcome you to eurocrack… All I wanted was a VCO… 9U later my wife is telling me I need to go see someone.

Great advice from @123alastairj on the Tiptop Happy Ending… you can buy rails or 19" rack ones. If I were you I would also get a Make Noise Maths… probably the most versatile utility module you will ever use…

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a dangerous game for sure. I have had 180 hp in a Monorocket 6U and have held strong with that for about 6 years maybe now? I DID get a little Doepfer beauty case just to trade out my Hexinverter MIDI2CV and my Expert Sleepers ES-8 depending on whether I’m using Octatrack or computer live. Otherwise, I’m treating it as full. I’m very happy with that limitation. That way I can focus on developing my artistic practice rather than lusting over every module. Of course, there are always a couple options I have on my radar still :slight_smile:

Why not try a semi-modular first ?

My 0-Coast killed my GAS for modular. I was looking for something with additive synthesis and FM, I have years of fun ahead :slight_smile:
I could have fallen for Mother 32 or even better an Erebus…

This way you can have a foot on the modular fun, while sticking to a compact setup.
Hopefully, it will satisfy you without giving you the taste to constantly upgrade :wink:

4 Likes

I started getting overwhelmed by all of the VCOs in eurorack and the possibilities and all of the side crap needed and the money to make it all work and bought a Monomachine instead. I’m much happier :slight_smile:

I do still have a tiny eurorack setup which includes a Make Noise Telharmonic which is another great digital VCO with a lot of features. Not as much as Braids, but it’s a pretty unique set of sounds.

3 Likes

oh yeah the telharmonic would be another nice one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like I need to reinforce the way that Eurorack can be addictive. To me, the slippery part is that the more you add, the more you gain. It’s like you’re saying, you’ll get an oscillator, and you’ll probably love it, and that means you’ll want a filter, and VCA…and then, wow, a second oscillator will improve what you already have a whole lot because it doubles what you can currently do, etc.

But to the heart of your question, I feel like Braids would add more to the A4, just me, because there’s just so much digital programming and power available. But out of the 4 you mentioned, I only have Braids and I would’ve bought an Erica Black System at one point if it had been available. (And probably will eventually. I just want Elektron MkIIs more right now.)

Oh, and for only one module there are some ultra cheap DIY routes. I’ve seen homemade cardboard–but most people recommend buying a larger case than you think you’ll need, so I’d, if it were me, suggest something like the Happy Ending (which it sounds like you’re leaning toward), over cardboard, just because it’s so rare to stop at just a few modules. I feel like the classic recommendation is to buy one module at a time and then get to know it really well before adding anything, but then I don’t know anyone who has ever done it that way, so I encourage you to be the first!

1 Like