Joystick calibration issue?

Hi all, happy NAMM,

I got my Analog Keys back from repair (wobbling case) in November of last year and am just noticing this issue. I’m 99% positive my unit did not have this issue before repair. I emailed elektron but since it’s NAMM thought that might take a while and wanted to ask here, maybe there is an easy fix?

I noticed when I am using the joystick for pitch bend that the left and right bend amount is uneven. For instance if I set the pitch bend to 12, moving the joystick right bends the note the whole octave but moving it left only bends the note 11 notes. I also noticed that the higher I set the pitch bend amount the more off it is. So at 2 it sounds correct but at 24 it’s off by a few notes. The right side is always correct. I tested it externally in Midi mode with a mono machine keyboard and the same problem occurs. I’m assuming the issue exitst with all parameters other than pitch bend but I’m not sure what parameters to test that I could hear by ear.

Hopefully this is software and not hardware, does a software calibration exist?

Thanks,

Bend sends 14bit resolution data, try hooking up a midi monitor to see how short the left range is of the right, should be consistent irrespective of bend amount on that test, it could be a physical obstruction or a calibration issue(most likely) i’m sure there was a calibration thread on day one AK release on here, sounds harmless unless joystick is obstructed in full range, also check on a midi monitor it zeroes when released

From memory
Right 8191
Mid 0
Left -8192

Ie 16384 vals, right mat end 92 and left -91, can’t recall

Some monitoring might show up absolute where mid is 8192 and left 0, so you want to do some maths on the ranges either side to know what the root cause is

yea, looks to be right 8191 and left-7295

Also hard to tell but the stick looks slightly to the left from center. And if I max the stick to the right and it hits the case there is a little bit of play in movement where the pitch stays maxed, if I go all the way to the left there is no play. This is leading me to believe the joystick is crooked. Hopefully not, really don’t want to send it in again…

Recalibrated! Elektron saves the day!

1 Like

that’ll be a relief :slight_smile:

Anybody has an idea, how to calibrate the joystick? I’m in test-mode and trying the old sfx-6 way, where you had to hold the octave buttons while turning the joystick. But doesn’t seem to work on Analog keys…

Whats the sfx6 way of recalibrating the joystick?

Nevermind its in the manual derp