Jomox Mbase for kicks. Worth it?... or is it overcomplicating?

Well I can say that Jomox makes best kick drum to me from all the ones I have used and heard. My Jomox MBase 09 MK2 base drum module arrived today and it is fun!

I put together a small modular drum system now that I have 8 eurorack drum modules hehe

the more I use my Euclidian Circles sequencer with drums on eurorack, the more I enjoy it!

I do find compressor/distortion applied from the Mutant Hot Glue mixer essential for modular drums. Elektron is good but I don’t have much desire now for a conventional drum machine lol.

The T-Resonator looks fun but I have a Happy Nerding FX module on the way.

4 Likes
4 Likes

my goodness Jomox kick is sooo great! I figured out how to tweak parameters and apply cv from Mimetic Digitalis today to tweak it. Best eurorack kick drum on the planet. I wonder how good the Alphabase claps and other drums are? I know the UI on their drum machine sucks but oh my if the claps, snare and high hats are as good would be great box.

The M.Base makes some massive 808 like kicks but I always had a ton of trouble getting the kick to sit right in the mix.

1 Like

I feel you! Had the same trouble lately. Ending up using the WMD crater, which ofcourse is on the other end of the hard kick spectrum.

At the end I´m not sure about the Mbase. It has it´s own flavour I would say. Great for 808ish bassdrums for sure. But nothing what an analog rymt can´t do I think.

I find it hard to tune as it misses a 1v/o input and a stepped tuning based on notes - like the AR.

One trick I use on the AR: I tune the bassdrum up by 24 semitones and then tune in the base frequency or fundamentel / set to a specific note. Then tune down back to normal. That works on the WMD crater too (more or less well). But how could I do this on the Mbase module?

1 Like

Hey guys sorry to invade this thread (please correct me if this is wrongly placed), but I’m having trouble recreating this bassdrum sound:

I have a Jomox Xbase 888 so I got that part covered. So far, I recognize a lot of distortion (duh) and smasing the RNLA compressor hard (?). The question remains: how do you get this ‘hollow’ sound without removing or adding too much bass?

Is it the interplay of all these elements, or is it one partucular thing I am missing here? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seriously i started using FL Studio again recently and the plugin “Bassdrum” is just an insane and powerful kick drum synth.This whole programme is pretty damn efficient tbh.I’m not really up on soft synths but well impressed.Easy just to layer another hit on top too.Great for techno.

1 Like

It sounds like something that could come out of a distortion/overdrive/saturation fx when fed with a kick imho.