Joining the OctaCult

The OctaCult has no Leader. In its User Manual we trust. Firewalking is optional.

2 Likes

Octatrack User Manual Cult :
Learn this mantra :

And try to understand this (MKII manual)

10 Likes

If you havenā€™t already, check out Thavius Beckā€™s OT tutorial videos. When I first got mine a few years ago I was worried Iā€™d made a big expensive mistake because it was such a complex instrument. Then I found Thavius Beck - his videos were exactly what I needed to get started. Since then, Iā€™ve been taking lessons from @DaveMech with it and my other Elektron gear (DN, AR, A4) and itā€™s made all the difference. The OT is the centerpiece and brain of my rig and I absolutely love using it. Have fun!!!

6 Likes

You definitely donā€™t need to use all the features for it to be worthwhile. Iā€™ve had mine for about 4 years and the longer I have it the fewer features I use at any one time. lately it has spent about a third of its time just being a master clock and not doing anything else at all, and I havenā€™t used the sequencer in over a year, and I only use thru and pickup machines and one or two scenes. Two years ago I was almost exclusively doing live sampling with flex machines and a lot of scenes and sequencing. Before that I was pre-recording a lot of loops and samples and mostly using static machines, spending a lot of time in the audio editor. Overall Iā€™ve probably used about 80% of its feature heavily at some point or another but if I use more than 15% at any given time Iā€™d be surprised.

The only things Iā€™ve hardly ever needed to use since I got it are the arranger (it seems really good, but I use the OT mostly for improvising and when Iā€™m doing structured things that it would be useful for Iā€™m workign with my old MPC or a DAW) and the master track.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I saw them but wasnā€™t sure how good they would be. For anyone else interested - itā€™s currently on sale: Octatrack MKII Advanced Sampling

Had mine since the month it came out and Iā€™ve been more than happy with the 25% of it that I use. Just happened to spontaneously be in tune with the Rusty approach above (ā€œcompletely ignore Neigbour, Thru, Pickup, Recorders, Midi etcā€) and thatā€™s plenty for me.

3 Likes

It arrived! :partying_face:

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 4.10.36 PM

8 Likes

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Digitakt will be always in your heart

1 Like

Many ppl already said it, but thatā€™s the point with Octatrack : The machine will adapt to your workflow and not the opposite.
I think that why itā€™s still a revelant machine in 2022

2 Likes

I find with these machines it takes a few years to fully master them, but the OT is a fun ride

3 Likes

dont break up with the DT.
Use it for drums.
your OT will be very pleased.

6 Likes

@ViolentMeals @blaize kidding of course! I would never break up!

Hereā€™s my most recent track/video using a Digitakt to program drums and control a Nintendo Entertainment System via a MIDInes cartridge, starring me and my husband Frank

17 Likes

Count me in. Iā€™ve watched Thavius Becks videos several times.

1 Like

I love it. Music is very nice and the clip is so funny. Good job really.

1 Like

I super appreciate you watching!!! :smiley:

ya I really miss the DT for drums. DT has a bit of magic in this department where the OT doesnā€™t.

4 Likes

Loved the video! Super fun and creative!

1 Like

Haha this is awesome.

1 Like

Very cool !
I guess you slowed down Digitakt tempo as playback to record the video ? Video x4 ?
Octatrack timestretch can slow down by 6400% !
(I gave this accelerated video thing a try recently, inspired by Beastie Boys Intergalactic, but the result was meh)

1 Like