Joining the OctaCult

My used Mark II arrives on Saturday! Already got my manual printed out. (and the Merlin guide) :nerd_face: Been a Digitakt and Model:Cycles user for a few years and love them both. I historically have sung to backing tracks while performing live, but I’m really looking forward to being able to “play” the track and remix it (and maybe my vocals too).

Just wanted to share my HYPE
feel free to wax nostalgic and/or give n00b tips :v:

24 Likes

Welcome!

I’m curious about your setup and concept. I’m also a singer songwriter using a Boss RC-505 and Octatrack. How do you plan to approach your material now with the Octatrack?

3 Likes

Parts are just a fancy name for Kits(like if the parameters of a Digitakt pattern were able to be referenced across different patterns)

The confusion often comes up, so let’s clear that up now.

Also, if you feel like your Octatrack is broken, mute the scene and check your parameters

14 Likes

Octatrack Parts

23 Likes

This should be engraved in the top corner of the machine lol

12 Likes

oneofus

15 Likes

I’m wondering if I were to even use just 10% of its features if I’d like it. I have and get along with the Digitakt, tone and syntakt well, and I have the model cycles and sample and have owned a machinedrum and monomachine.

I’ve put my hands on an octatrack before and I do feel very intimidated by it, but I’m wondering if a very light use of it could yield magic and fun without worrying about going any deeper!

2 Likes

Absolutely. You can do shedloads just using Flex/Static machines and audio.

And completely ignore Neigbour, Thru, Pickup, Recorders, Midi etc.

5 Likes

I felt bad reading “ignore…recorders” but after reading it several times in the context, I agree with you. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Thank you! I know there’s deep deep love for this machine, and some magic. I’m thinking owning one can lead to growing with it over years, but it helps to know even on a basic level it has plenty of magic and ease to offer.

2 Likes

Would I do that to you? :slight_smile:

Definitely something you can grow with, but even just using as a sample playback device it can be insanely powerful.

5 Likes

@Rusty I’m biased because I primarily wanted to use OT as a looper, been frustrated then discovered incredible power of Recorders + Flex (Recorders + Flex coming from Machinedrum RAM REC and PLAY machines I discovered after).

So yes, I agree that if you just focus on sample playing at first, using scenes and slices, it can be…

1 Like

I might try to do some sort of “learn with me” video series while I go through the manual and try to understand how to execute ideas.

I know there are a lot of tutorials out there, but this would be a “get out your octatrack and super slowly follow along since I’m also figuring this out” thing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really think that using static and flex came first.
This way you understand how this beast smell and what you can do with pseudo cold and rigid sample.
Then you unlock the recorder.
And unlock the the scene and crossfader.

3 Likes

At first use I’d recommend to load a 1 bar loop, slice it in 8, create linear locks after placing 8 corresponding trigs, and use scenes/crossfader.

Edit : Preferably a FLEX, loop on, slice mode, LEN on Time mode, TSTR off.

Maybe I’m not reasonable. :content:

4 Likes

The Cue send (with Cue Send Mute option on) made me crazy.

6 Likes

Oui, généralement.

Send it to me !

A lot were “broken” because of a soloed track, or CC OUT set to EXT. (I had that wtf moment :content:)

5 Likes

The only thing you ever need to know is this:

Why doesnt it work?
Answer- user error.

7 Likes

uh oh are these the brave souls who died trying to learn the octatrack??
:skull:

3 Likes

:expressionless: Yes. Some of them had rare left-handed versions.

5 Likes