Joining the OctaCult

I was using mine mostly to sample movies and as drum machine. When Rytm arrives will focus on resampling again and creating fun patterns.

do we have a secret handshake yet?

1 Like

Yeah, looping. Needs polyphony per track.

Brilliant. Frank trying to keep a straight face is the best bit for me.

1 Like

Yep I can confirm, having sold my DT when I got an OT and regretting it within a week. DT also works good at being 8 mono synths as it has a larger chromatic range. Mine’s loaded up with a ton of single cycle waveforms that I’ll never use all of haha.

1 Like

Workaround with OT : single cycle sample chains. 64 semitones chromatic, more with defined scales.
I made some for OT and don’t regret DT (mono samples, no slices, 33s mono recording max, no pre-defined recording length, auto normalize :grimacing:, no audio editor…)

Even without sample chains I think you can make interesting stuff with OT and single cycle waveforms.
(6 tracks generative example, good luck with DT)

7 Likes

I like having both of those machines. You can’t have one without the other IMO

2 Likes

Baby’s first OctaJam

Loaded up samples of myself playing drums, trumpet, and guitar
Slice re-arranged the drums
Pitched the trumpet and guitar
Created two additional scenes with FX
CROSSFADE INTO GLORY

9 Likes

Oh good call! Didn’t even think of sample chaining to get the extra octaves!

And since last update it is possible to play the 64 slices (or slots) with external midi or midi loopback…
With slots mode you can use start for wavetables…

2 Likes

This just so very awesome :heart:

1 Like

A year later! Haven’t used it much but am planning on doing a song a week with it in 2024!

I think I finally understand Parts and it is very very very exciting.

6 Likes

I figured out tonite that you can assign and trigger samples to individual trigs and p lock them too! So much fun tonite rediscovering my Octatrack. Such massive sounds I need to record it this week.

yea I could never get the hang of parts either. I like arranger mode on the Octatrack to write songs.

1 Like

Nice jam!!

1 Like

This is indeed much fun. What I find even better is using slices chain. In Slice play mode, you can manually trig 4 pages of 16 different samples per track!

@orangedrink I wish you the best for your challenge, nothing like practicing!

2 Likes

indeed and still learning new tricks on my Octatrack several years later. Seems like when I take a break and come back to it, then I get better at creating fun live tracks on it that blow my mind. Made some deep house last night on it that was amazing fun. All this helps me quit buying gear and save money when I dive deeper into my gear.

2 Likes

I’m back in the club. After having a very brief encounter with the Octatrack a few years ago i got one again. It wasn’t an easy decision but i’m very happy i did it. Don’t know why i didn’t click with it the first time. Probably too distracted to really get into it.

The first beat is already better than a lot of stuff i made in the last months. Working with scenes to make variations and b-parts is so easy and fun. Samplers were always my favorite instruments and this one is truly a gem.

Thanks to all Octanauts for constantly reminding me how great this machine is!

9 Likes

it really grows on you the more you use it over time. I hated it when I first bought it because it is so complex and powerful but once I started learning and using it found it to be so amazing and hard hitting sounds too. Still my favorite Elektron next to the Rytm and A4.

3 Likes