Japanese music - Deep cuts

Akiko Yano - To-ki-me-ki

She was 21 when she released her first record „Japanese Girl” - got a repress, should still be around or on discogs. Then found this in record store in Paris - her 3rd album when she was 23 - love the vibe:

1 Like

Nice tunes you posted! I did a really deep dive on the ニュー・ロック (“new rock”) genre at one point after buying an old Guyatone guitar pedal that was supposedly aimed at that genre. The pedal is long gone now, but I discovered loads of good tunes as a result of it. I’ll try to recall some of my other favorites (I made a playlist at some point), but this one comes to mind as something you might like.

And this one:

1 Like

I read in the comments that this album was originally intended to be the score for Akira. Wild!

There are sooo many… but for some reason this one is the first that came to mind… may be corny for some but I love this

1 Like

I almost posted another of his albums. Absolutely brilliant.

1 Like

Im a huge City Pop fan. On a side note, the show Tokyo Vice is pretty great.

Several live examples of the great musical genre ‘sunglasses and long hair’:

3 Likes

My favourite ambient album.
Meitei: Komachi

5 Likes

Yeah, I love his stuff! A lot of what I have learned about obscure 1970s Japanese jazz is from the record reissues curated by Yusuke Ogawa. He releases a lot of stuff under his Deep Jazz Reality label and in conjunction with HMV. Besides Japanese stuff, he’s an expert on labels like Strata East and Black Jazz, and wrote a really awesome book on independent jazz in the 1970s (unfortunately out of print). He owns a record shop not too far away from me, so I have met him and talked with him. Super-down-to-earth guy and a treasure in terms of musical knowledge.

This is his record shop:

https://www.universounds.net/

3 Likes

Goat are incredible…. the level of precision and endurance these guys have is seriously impressive.

1 Like

Glad to see Flower Travellin’ Band up there. I really like this:

1 Like

Great thread! :heart: This is probably more of a classic than a deep cut, but I still love this bizarre (and gorgeous) mess of a track.

2 Likes

DJ Krush belongs to the cream of hip-hop. Appears in Doug Pray’s “Scratch” documentary, that you need to watch if you’re into hiphop.

Ace 90’s J-Rock from The Pillows

Born in Japan, Kaho Matsui makes some lofi love letters in Portland.
And is living proof computer and recording works for girls

I believe heoliene aka Osa Uveine / Deuveir / オサ is from Japan. I love their unique sound.

Jérôme Mardaga aka Thamel is not Japanese but @HisMostDarxxxellent’s XSPA label is based in Japan, so I guess that counts.
Anyway, that was really an excuse to drop this excellent album, one of my favorite ambient ones.

Morimoto Naoki matches @boboter’s tape-loving Seil records artistic direction.

Rhucle drops some ambiant reveries that can be found on Lᴏɴᴛᴀɴᴏ Series label

So does Seki Takashi:

Akihiko Matsumoto makes delicate sample packs, and beautiful music

They are as talented as prolific!
https://www.youtube.com/@AkihikoMatsumoto-Official/videos

Was about to forget our own @taro, the samples of whom I use regularly

Last but not least, akeyamasou glitches the hell out of the Elektron silver twins, reminding me why I love Æ in the first place.

7 Likes

Impossible to choose a fave Midori Takada track but looking around I found this wonderful little documentary. I love her.

2 Likes

One of the best liveshows Ive been to. Reptile mind trance music.

Thanks! The strawberry path sounds like it could be right up my alley. I’ll have to give it a closer listen when I get a chance. The other video isn’t available for me

1 Like

Stomu Yamashta did some awesome stuff featured on MWFTE

2 Likes

What years did you live in Japan? Me: Tokyo 89-95.

Yeah, I hate when videos won’t play. That’s happened for a few in this thread for me as well.

Does this one work? I didn’t realize it until I read the comments, but the excellent Japanese doom band Boris covered this one.

2 Likes

I got to meet him at a Hennessy event in 2013 promoting their collaboration with graffiti artist Futura. DJ Muro (another legend) was also spinning and Onra (from Paris) did a set on two MPC1000s. Was a great night. I’ve discovered a lot of great tracks, both Japanese and non-Japanese, from Muro mixes over the years.

Onra and Muro, couldn’t find a pic of Krush.

4 Likes