I've Run Out of Memory - Static Machines Time?

Hi,
In the 6 months of having my Octatrack, I’ve managed to never use a static machine. However, I’ve created some chains of chord progressions and saved them for cutting up. Well, it works a treat and I’ve opened up new ways to do things but . . .

I tried to load another chain and I’ve run out of memory!

So, is this the way to use static machines? Will I need to compromise my workflow when using a static machine with a chain compared to a flex?

Cheers,
Adam

1 Like

I’ve read so many threads about this topic and it’s still fuzzy to me. I believe the only real drawback of a static machine is limitations on how you can use LFOs to modulate pitch.

2 Likes

People have a phobia of using static machines, it’s common…
Try em, they work great! They don’t like lfo to sample start, and aren’t the best with crossfader to start parameter, besides that they’re fine… It’s really useful and probably a preferred method to offload things to static, especially if there’s not much modulation, to save the flex ram for what you really need it for…

Ahh, I did just wake up though and now I see you taliking chain… Hmm haven’t tried but I think it should work fine as long as your not super rapidly locking the start points…
The manual says locking start points on static will work correctly, but I’ve read a case or two where people said it wasn’t, they may have had a slow card or something though…

1 Like

I’m a bit phobic too with sliced statics.
That said, a few weeks ago I made a test with a 8x8 meagabreak with statics : one bar, one bar samples, 8 soundlocks, 8 slices…and it worked well.

Tests needed for statics limits ?

1 Like

I’ll be home and turning the lights on the boxes in an hour. I’m going to see how I get on with static chains.

2 Likes

Let us know how it goes…

static chains work fine for me.

1 Like

Yes statics work fine for chains/slices here too, the slice can be mapped to crossfader with no drop outs if you are using a decent card, but mapping rate to crossfader can “fall over” if you have say -64 (with tstr to set to rate) on B and go mad with the crossfader, so you might get dropouts. I think it also depends on the length of the static too, so if you can keep them relatively short it might handle this better.

2 Likes

Unsupported encoding?

Worked in a flex but won’t load in static?

What do you mean?
The OT gave you that message? Never seen that…

1 Like

1 Like

Hmmmmm. Guess I’m special huh? :sunglasses:

Hey @Rusty, if ya got a second, what’s this “unsupported encoding” when loading a chain that worked in flex to a static track? Any ideas?

Maybe it has something to do with having saved edits and flex settings using “save sample settings” and then the static can’t use those settings?

Perhaps make a backup of the chain and its associated .OT file if there is one, then delete the .OT file and see if it works… Just a guess, it might not have anything to do with this…

I should add, I created the chains using Octa chainer. But, like I said, works in flex.

This happens with other chains that are not associated with flex machines. :unamused:

Sorry buddy, I’m much more of a 2 to 32 bar loop guy, I’ve never even made a sample chain…
Others must know something about it, but I’m pretty deep in the forum here and I don’t recall reading this before…

Anyone? :thinking:

1 Like

Hmmmm.

I’ve created a new project.

I can load the chains to flex but not to static?

Who’s the chain guru in the parts? :wink:

Don’t recall seeing that one before… might be a MkII / OSv1.30C / OSv1.30D specific bug? Or might be an issue with the CF card; that is returning a false flag?

@apmbpm: What OS are you running?

If you want to send me over the sample and ot settings file; I can have a little play around and see if I can replicate; or if anything pops out?

3 Likes