I've fallen out of love with the DT

Whenever someone calls the Digitakt menu dive-y, I turn to my Korg Electribe 2 and strike an evil grin.

4 Likes

And you gotta love those menu shortcuts which are not printed on the faceplateā€¦

Itā€™s a lot easier to dirty up a clean signal than it is to clean up a dirty signal - Jane Fonda

6 Likes

Iā€˜ve fallen out of love with all my elektrons at one point or another.
Good thingā€¦ I fell back into love again each time

4 Likes

same :point_up_2:

Update: I listed my DT on Reverb just as a feeler and it got snatched up immediately.

I grabbed a Drumbrute Impact on Friday and was ready to return it the next day. Iā€™m all for limitations but that thing is shockingly limited. I think the Volca Beats has more control over the sounds!

I have a Model Samples on order, I think the knob-per-function and no pages is really what Iā€™m looking for. I actually intended to originally get the MS instead of the DT but I was convinced that I really needed to be able to sample into the box directly. After using it for a few years it turns out that is just not the reality and I did it exceedingly rarely.

Letā€™s see how this goes!

6 Likes

And if that fails, the Roland SP-404 MKII is being announced on Wednesday! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what youā€™re after might be the tr-8s

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone through many stages with the DT having owned it since it came out. Ultimately, it is limited but not too limited meaning that there is a lot you can do with it but itā€™s scope is narrow enough that it will eventually lead you to approaching it in different ways. Initially, it was a straight beat machine, then I incorporated melodic samples from everywhere (vinyl, Youtube, my own ancient recordings), using it to construct melodies from single tones sampled from other machines, etc. Right now, I am in a stage where I construct my own samples created on my synths and sample them into the DT. The (possibly) under appreciated aspect of this machine is being able to sample in while a beat is playing. In that way you can really dial in how a melody or chord progression will work in the context of a beat and tempo. I too have struggled to complete songs on the DT but with this targeted approach you can quickly and easily construct A, B, and C parts over the same beat/tempo to insure they flow with each other. While the machine itself does have itā€™s limitations it is pretty malleable to different approaches with how you construct music.
OTOH, if it doesnā€™t provide you with the desire to find the workarounds and stretch itā€™s capabilities (as well as your own) chuck it and find something that does.

3 Likes

canā€™t wait to see if elektron announces slicing on weds after Rolands announcement, or the digi mk2!

6 Likes

Yeah but then we have to wait, I really want slicing. That SP looks lovely, I have how easy and fun the SP are. But for me the sequencer is the biggest issue I have with it/

2 Likes

OP-1
Easy to grasp toy like features with minimal menu action.
No ā€œsequencerā€ in the traditional sense for arrangements.
=OR=
OP-z if you want sequencing and with a much less eye watering price tag :slight_smile:

I had an OP-1 years ago, it was a ton of fun but I never got much more than doodles out of it, and couldnā€™t justify keeping it around for what I could sell it for. I really think those should be at the $300 mark.

I got my Model Samples last night and am already digging it! Itā€™s basically everything I liked about the DT and the MC (which I had for a while earlier this year) mixed into one device, which seems obvious but is really working for me now.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got both and thereā€™s no comparison. The drumbrute impact is kind of a one trick pony. It sounds how it sounds and the variations are minimal. If you want a drum machine thatā€™s more performance oriented, the Roland TR6S (or the bigger one) is more capable and thereā€™s less menu diving. The digitakt still does more and is more programmable, but the performance controls on the Roland are superior.

The polyend tracker has a pretty dope performance mode too, but thatā€™s all sample vs the roland drum synthesis-hybrid thing.

Well, Iā€™d say each to their own.
Treating it more as a sketchpad might be a solution. But if the DT doesnā€™t work for you intuitively just in general, then itā€™s tedious and not very enjoyable, and I would sudgest that you part with it, unless youā€™re someone who enjoys challenges of course.

I have never tried to make whole arrangements on any Elektron device. Just ideas and a simple loop thatā€™ll work as main part for a track. Even with OT. Actually makes it much less complicated, when you donā€™t intend to use it in a complicated way.
Iā€™d just mute/unmute tracks and do simple dubmixing.

Have you considered the M:S as a more intuitive solution? Would of course be even more sketchpadā€™ish. I donā€™t know :man_shrugging:

Many users are talking positively about the Novation grooveboxes. Personally I keep away, because I donā€™t like their modern looks that reminds me of going to a nightclub. Iā€™m not really much of a nightclub guy, so not that kind of associations that I subconsiously want to be affected by :laughing:

Edit:
Sorry, should really wait commenting till after Iā€™ve read the whole thread.
But glad that M:S seems to be the better choice for you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Having spent time with the DT and the MC I really am loving the MS, and I havenā€™t even used anything but the factory soundbank yet!

1 Like

And it doesnā€™t feel too expensive have lying around when not having time for it, Iā€™d imagine :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: