Issues with Matriarch USB and OT MIDI

Hey everyone, I hope you’re all doing well and would be willing to help me.

Here’s the issue I’m facing: I have a Moog Matriarch connected via USB to my MacBook (I’m using Ableton) and everything works fine. The Moog allows the USB MIDI to communicate with the DIN MIDI IN/THRU/OUT. However, my Octatrack (OT) is connected to my Moog Matriarch (TRU output to midi in on the OT) but does not receive any clock information and doesn’t work at all. All devices are up to date and the OT midi option is on receive in both TRANS and CLOCK.

Thanks for your help !

I don’t know the Moog, but despite your second sentence i’d very much doubt it is operating like a standalone MIDI interface - whereby what you send via USB appears at the DIN Out Port

Assuming you are indeed correct and Moog facilitate this, then it still wouldn’t be viable because a Hardware Thru Port is really only ever meant to offer an electrical clone of the MIDI data arriving into the physical DIN MIDI IN Port

If it operated (which i personally doubt tbh) as a MIDI Interface you would need to use the Out Port of the Moog

Thank you so much for your answer.
I might be wrong but this is what the book says :

What do you think about this ?

Am inclined to mirror what @avantronica said, but did you come across this thread? Seems like they are discussing the same query with more or less the same setup

The extract from the manual that you posted indicates that you can pass the incoming USB-MIDI information to the Octatrack by connecting the Matriarch’s MIDI Out port (not the MIDI Thru port) to the Octatrack’s MIDI In port.

It works! Thank you for your help, guys. For future people who will face the same issues as me, my Moog didn’t seem to accept the settings modifications I made, so I used this website that allows you to change the settings visually: Moog Matriarch Global Settings Editor

And, of course, MIDI out to the OT

1 Like