Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

I remember having read somewhere that counterclockwise mk2 was clockwise mk1 circuit.
I really like both mk2 overdrives. Love how you can change the sound in so many ways, when filter resonance is high or very modulated.

1 Like

Counterclockwise : mkI
Clockwise : mkII

I often prefer Counterclockwise.

4 Likes

Same here bcs its smoother and more suitable for the sounds I’m after but its nice to have a quite aggressive one too, and on the same dial, interesting things happen when modulating it so that its alternating between them.

1 Like

What is your source? A4 mkl has also 2different distortion models I would say

2 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like

Another A4 = DFAM one (on one track, of course) :wink:

26 Likes

Source please ! :wink:
2 different overdrive circuits ?

At around 8:10, he compares a mkI to a mkII :

1 Like

Oposite settings with MKII negative and MKI positive seem to sounds similar indeed, a bit short to compare though…

An Elektron official source ?

Didn’t they just inverted knob behavior or is it just more…mature ? :content:

A4MKI manual :

OVR (Filter1 Overdrive) introduces distortion in the signal path. In mid position (0) the signal is kept clean. Increasing positive values gives a clipping distortion after Filter 1. Increasing negative values also distorts the signal, but with a softer overdrive inside the filter.

Same description in MKII manual but in Cuckoo’s demo it seems inverted (positive values softer).
Something wrong in the manual ?

OVR (Filter1 Overdrive) introduces distortion in the signal path. In mid position (0) the signal is kept clean. Increasing positive values gives a clipping distortion after Filter 1. Increasing negative values also distorts the signal, but with a softer overdrive inside the filter.

So you’re telling me I have 4 DFAMs… on my A4… on top of my double DFAMs… no freakin wayyyyyyyy. I remember giving it a go once but this is motivating.

6 Likes

I couldn’t find a statement by an Elektron employee anywhere on the forum. However, many well-informed users of MkI and MkII describe precisely these differences in the overdrive behaviour between the two Marks. Perhaps MkII beta testers were provided with some extra information?

@eangman
Is the description of the overdrive in the AF MkII manual correct, or was that text simply copied from the MkI manual?

I read this as saying that the difference is overdrive before or after the filter, which would make sense as an option. Am I interpreting that right?

Why is that? What’s the matter with the 5 sub? The waveform of the square?

sounds extremely close to the signature dfam stuff!

2 Likes

After the filter vs “inside” the filter…
Maybe, but it’s not very clear imho…

Let’s say you want to play a C4 with its 5th, G. Normally, on the same octave, G4 is 7 semitones above, and on the octave below G3 is 5 semitones below.

A4 uses 7 semitones below, for me it’s a fourth (F3).

A workaround to get a fifth (above) is to increase osc by 7 semitones, C4 become G4, F3 become C4, and now you have a fifth with C as root note.

On the second osc you can increase osc by 10 semitones (with 5th sub on), and you get a Cm7 chord.
Chart for making chords with osc's - #7 by sezare56

11 Likes

Thanks for that explanation! That makes sense!
Will try to experiment with your chart;-)

1 Like
14 Likes

I love the combination of my A4, my Heat and my iPhone or iPad.
A4 -> ah
ah is sound card for iPad
I use Loopy Pro, with fab filter and have perfect compressor, filters, volume control and looper.
Now I have more ‘stage-ready’ sound, and a looper for transition.

1 Like

Do you do it this way with the transistor pulse or with the regular pulse wave?