Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

Go in the filters and check completed items

4 Likes

This is what sold me on the A4, long ago

10 Likes

I did exactly that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The ones that sit there are the ones asking too much.

The completed listings shows the prices they’re selling for. Although I think the best offer accepted aren’t specific about the exact sale price, just less than the struck through price.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about the lack of sub-oscillator volume control. Maybe they didn’t implement it because page one is already full for osc 1 and 2. But there is room to add it to the second page of oscillator 1.

Maybe this will be added in a future firmware, as it’s a common complaint. But it might not be possible to change it if it’s fixed in the hardware.

1 Like

Example using the Filter Feedback :

I agree. Made this last night (with some extra Modulations) :

Edit : I forgot to mention that this is only 1-Voice of the A4

42 Likes

The A4 is not what I expected at all but I am happy I have one. Those kicks just slap so hard. Add some Heat and oof pure bliss. While people get tied up on the 4 voices I often just use two and have a blast. We all know the sequencer is bananas.

Yep… enough has been said but I also wish there was more content on YouTube compared to DT/DN/OT.

Rytm has the same problem. I would assume price point vs capabilities. OT can do a lot so the price is more “worth” it, therefore it’s more popular…

Odd paradox when people spend a lot on a monosynth (to be fair very different purpose but still…)

6 Likes

Sounds really great, it’s incredible the timbres that can come from this thing and even more incredible that it’s just one voice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like to work with only 1-Voice and get the most out of it. I often do this with the Vermona PERfourMER.

5 Likes

The concept of Kits is the biggest difference I guess.
Songmode and Performance mode are not featured in the DN.
Most of the other features should be quite familiar

1 Like

Ah yes the kits thing. There’s no Control All either is there? It’s Performace knobs instead.

I remember the voice allocation for polyphony being different too

Actually I’m gonna go rewatch @Eaves amazing video comparing the two.

https://youtu.be/LTL88zpQFsg

1 Like

The 2 LFOs can each have 2 targets, the two additional envelopes can each have 2 targets (filter env is tied to filter but has 2 others, user is not tied to anything but has 2, in both with independent depths)

6 Likes

Sorry if my post took us off topic. Please carry on.

1 Like

Been more than a year since I had the A4

While I love it for the weird sounding stuff like the feedback osc, I really struggle to get nice staple sounds out of it. I mean they’re possible but you have to tweak like 100 different parametres to get it sounding decent

Will it be a bad idea to part of it and get something like norand mono instead? Tried that a few months back at a shop in Paris and I thought I love how big and raw it sounded

1 Like

I just bought back an A4 :grin: This thread really helped fuel it haha. This time a Mk1 though - for what I used it for (not as a center piece) the Mk2 felt a bit big and expensive, but the Mk1 fits better as a side gig kinda thing :slight_smile:

I think most people here agree around the A4 being able to do loads and sounding great and being a lot of value; but not being the fastest biggest sweet spot synth.

To me it fits perfectly in the spectrum between (A) my small modular and (B) my recent purchase of an SH-01a:

A) On the one end of the spectrum I have my modular for knob per function weird noises loops.

But there’s loads of times that I feel like I need a couple modules extra in my modular to add just some basic extra sound. An A4 will offer this for a fraction of the price (like some simple 16ths bass notes, a weird-numbered polymeter arp sequence, a glitchy percussion stab).

B) On the other end of the spectrum I have this new SH-01a which doesn’t have that many crazy specs, but is like one giant sweet spot of simplicity and immediacy.

To me the A4 seems best in that area between. I’ll have to see if that’s also what’ll happen in reality!

4 Likes

I mean, if you’re into a Mono, you should get a Mono. There’s nothing in the world that’s so objectively great that it can overcome whatever subjective feels you have for it. And it’s not made with conflict diamond or whatever, so I don’t think there’s any reason to feel bad about it.

It’s just, I think you’re going to end up tweaking 100 things. It’s the price we pay for boxes that can sound like different things. If it’s the tweaking you don’t like, thinking of something outside the synth mold might be helpful.

But if you just feel like you enjoy the tweaking more on the Mono, that’s great! I have a DB-01 I adore for no reason other than I like the feel of tweaking it.

1 Like

the only reason why I kept the a4 so far is because of the familiarity with elektron worklow, and the ease of pattern sequencing as I’m using the OT song mode as the master, it just works…

1 Like

One more question (and sorry, I’m sure I could find it in the manual eventually).

Can you send noise to filter like you can on a sequential rev2/prophet etc. and could you modulate the amount of noise via a mod wheel?

Can you pick a random LFO?

1 Like

Every voice has a noise source doesn’t it?

2 Likes