Is this setup possible with MIDI? (send MIDI direct from THRU)

I’ve referred to the manual, and watched a few YT videos, but can’t find the answer.

Can you use the MIDI THRU from the DT to send MIDI direct to another unit?

My set up is:

DT sending Clock and Transport to the DN, and MIDI thru the DN to a Korg Micro-X, on MIDI Channel 1.

I also have a Nord Electro 2, and I would ideally like to sequence it from the DT. Can I use the THRU port to send MIDI on Channel 2 directly to the Nord? How can I set this up, if possible?

Thanks for your help in advance, I’ve been struggling with this for a few hours now. :pray:

Or, failing that, is there another way to get all these devices playing together? (maybe with a MIDI splitter?)

(BTW, neither the Nord or the Korg has MIDI THRU.)

Not possible. You’ll need a Midi Thru box or a Midi router.

1 Like

Possible (with DN midi out).
Sequence from DT, and set a DN midi track to pass through midi out.

DT : midi track on ch2
DN : use midi track 2 (in midi config, its channel has to be ch2).
In DN SYN1? page set midi channel to ch2.
This way DT notes and can pass through midi out. You have to set CCs on DT and DN if you want to control CCs from DT :

DT : set DN default CCs (70-77)
DN : set the target Nord CC values.

You can also send back the clock with DN midi out. (Send and receive on DN).

I don’t think you can pass through Pitch Bend and Aftertouch. For ModWheel and Breath you can use CC1 and 2.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that.

Perhaps I didn’t word it clearly, but I would ideally be able to sequence BOTH the Korg and the Nord from the DT, whilst sending Clock and Transport to the Digitone.

I’ve been able to get either the Nord or Korg sequenced, via the THRU on the Digitone, but not both.

I guess it’s just not possible without some sort of MIDI splitter/box.

This is possible with above settings. More practical with a splitter / router.

1 Like

Thanks.

Is there anything else need to look for when buying a splitter/router?

Money ? :content:
Quadra Thru splitter midi power, but Elektrons can provide it. (Don’t know about Models).

Blokas Midihub can allow routing, and midi processing (midi lfos, midi filtering, polyphony for Digitakt…)

Iconnect seem to have interesting products.

I have an A880 midi patchbay. I wouldn’t recommend it because of its huge size ! Otherwise it is very practical for midi routing.

1 Like

Looks like the Quadra Thru Splitter is just the ticket for my needs. Thanks! :pray:

Another quick question:

Presumably the DT stores MIDI routing per PROJECT (or even per pattern?)

Is there a way to set up a Template on the Digitakt, so it recalls which MIDI Channel (A-H) is sending to which device on which MIDI channel 1-8? :thinking:

Both. Midi channels to control tracks are set in MIDI CONFIG but for A-H sending channels it is per pattern

For midi tracks send settings you can set up a template pattern and copy/paste it.

Can be channels 1-16.

2 Likes

Great info. Thanks.

I’ve been meaning to refine my default template, and populate it with some drums I like. Would make sense to also set up the MIDI channels in that template project.

1 Like