Is this forum about gear consumption or about making music?

Very few of us on this forum are actual musicians. Most of us are simply addicted to spending tons of money buying metal boxes with knobs and buttons on them that light up and make electric fart sounds when touched. What’s the problem?

11 Likes

I’d probably have half a shot at being a worldwide superstar if I didn’t spend so much time on forums (especially this one!)! But I don’t mind, there’s folk who use this forum who I respect highly and who put up with my various whims and who offer some tremendous advice.

Where do you draw the line when talking “making music”? For me, it does include stuff like “will x make a difference?” or “should I sell y?”. It should also be about the abilities (or lack of) of the boxes we love (though maybe not so much with the “midi on A4” topics… haha).

There is still a strong sense of community on this forum that I enjoy a lot. In an odd way it’s one of the reasons why I bought a Digitakt - felt like an impostor hanging about here having sold my Elektrons. Even with the current strange vibes there’s still a place to chat about GAS, making tunes, etc.

Maybe we need a new “challenge” to work on and take focus away from recent guff!

5 Likes

IMO there’s a wealth of all kinds of info, tips and tricks, sounds included on this board. Problem is that the threads quickly run out of steam and get drowned by new topics surfacibg to the top.

I have once suggested to at least one mod that there should be some sticky threads on this board. One sticky for all the FAQ-type stuff / “getting started with box x” and some for the sound-design/sequencer tricks etc… but only to have a stightly elect few of them. This would do well to help keep a certain “focus” in the overall board thematic?

3 Likes

Theoretically anything could be turned into a PDF or something and added to the file section. You can also bookmark threads/posts yourself.

I just thought this forum was for people who like to make sound, discuss sound and the gear that makes sound, possibly with a slight penchant for Elektron gear.

Seems not…

Use the search function
You will probably find whatever you need to know has been discussed 5 or 6 times before. If you cant find the answers on this forum, there are heaps of other forums out there discussing how to make music.
You just have to have a look around. The answers are everywhere.
When I started writing music the internet barely existed. How did I cope I wonder. It’s literally too easy now :loopy:

1 Like

Thats a great idea…

I just looked at the list of topics and saw almost nothing but threads about making music with Elektron gear… Mainly Digitakt at the moment because that’s new, but also RYTM, a big post about TRX hats on the MD… triggering slices on the OT… the list, quite literally, goes on.

Now I know I was involved in a non-music related thread which has just been erased from history, but that was a drop in the ocean. I can honestly say I have no idea what you are talking about.

2 Likes

Not to mention loads of people sharing their great music.

Yeah all these DT tunes people are coming out with sound fantastic!

3 Likes

This thread raises a good point, I think there’s SOOO much new gear constantly coming out we will have to hit the ceiling sooner or later.

And naturally people get excited and want to talk about it.

If nothing new came out this summer I think it’d reflect in a lack of gear talk you know?

But anyways I do hear the underlying concern here is that gear lust can actually overtake making music and probably we’ve all been there lol ! Its foolish as the tools taking priority over the task at hand (metaphor)

It’s the opposite for me.
I find it extremely hard to generate GAS over new gear being released these days.
Hasn’t been anything new and ground breaking released for a while now worthy of purchase imo

Elektron is a hardware company. Seems on point to me.

1 Like

Oh I gotcha,

“groundbreaking” A user can be groundbreaking with mundane devices and also a

groundbreaking device can pull a user out of a mundane experience. Both are possible isn’t it true?

Welcome to music gear discussion forums. Been this way forever.

The Elektron user base can get pretty deep into musical topics, though the signal-to-noise ratio on this new forum is pretty bad in that regard.

Yeah basically.
If a new bit of hardware doesn’t bring anything new to the table then it’s hard to get excited.
I only consider buying hardware that is innovative and explores an area of sound in a way that we haven’t really seen before. It becomes harder over time but you just have to be patient. Innovation is what excites me personally.

1 Like

I mean, this is an official Elektron forum after all… While I do look forward to reading other people’s opinions, creative insights and listening to their music, you can say I’m guilty of going here primarily for troubleshooting and other gear-related inquiries. Most of my time spent actually discussing music or creativity is done elsewhere.

Maybe you can start topics or suggest song-making challenges?
Say, for example, on the DT, 8 audio tracks, one sample. That’s a lame one but I’m sure everyone here has great suggestions

You are right, here is much exchange about “new” gear and GAS related issues … but not only :wink:

Why not asking a precise question and hope to get a good answer or a lively discussion?

A good answer to “how to make music” is hard to give in general. I have had some musical education and consumed textbooks and tutorials. My experience is that there are many angles, opinions, rules and exceptions which might be worth to consider and discuss.

TBH … I am here, because I have found a friendly community, which shares my interest in electronic music equipment and creating electronic music. My local musician and non-musician friends wonder and often don’t understand, why I want to have all those boxes with countless knobs, sliders, and keys. Why am I not just happy playing my guitar or a keyboard, which would be sufficiant enough, to make good music? TBH … they have a point … but I think, we are a special breed of musicians and it feels right to work with this kind of complex gear and it’s good know that we are not alone in the universe :wink:

2 Likes

It’s easy to consume but hard to create. With some noble exceptions, most music forums are driven by gas.

1 Like

I started to use facebook this week
And found dawless jamming
It inspires me…

Any other place you find inspiration?