Is this behaviour in OB a bug or a feature?

I feel really stupid trying to understand what is happeing and I’m not sure if it’s my fault :confused:

Got my Rytm mk1. “Let’s do this!” I thought to my self. Excited about the promises of Overbridge.

It all seems to work. I toggle on total recall and start building a beat. “It just works.”

I add a midi track in ableton and sends a sweet baseline to track 2 running DCVO. “Nice”
Now it all starts to crumble…

“Let’s record the midi in Rytm.”
But nothing is recorded? try again. I go to the manual. I try again, but nothing.

“Only autochannel allows you to record into Rytm” I learn…

“OK then”. I change the midi track in ableton to channel 14. Silent.

“You can’t use auto channel with overbridge” I find out after 15 min of confused manual reading and googling.

”WTF”. In frustration I just decided to skip using Rytms sequencer and create more midi tracks. Now we are off and music is made.
I tweak and play. It sounds good. I save the project in ableton and I open overbridge again. Yes, total recall is on and active. I save again just to be sure.

I then start a new project to try out the template. I start a new beat. Save it. Goes to bed.

Next day, I open the first track from the day before. Rytm asks if I want to use plugin state and I say yes. It asks if I want to recall and I say yes.

Rytm reverts the kit back to its initial state and no sounds have been saved.

———————

Am I missing something here or is this how overbridge is supposed to work?

How should I work with overbridge?

You could possibly do all the work in the machine and when you’re ready, multitrack the audio into your daw and further refine it from there. I only have the DT and DNK so not the same machine but that’s how I use Overbridge.

Is this the actual problem? I don’t have a rytm either but I just searched “saving rytm kit” because I remember it’s wonky from reading about it in the past.

Might be a rytm thing, not a OB thing. Can’t say for sure, but sounds similar to what you’re describing.

I guess it’s the way. I would prefer to switch between ITB and jamming OTB, and that’s where I hoped Overbridge would solve this. Right now it’s just annoying because all channels working over midi but cant’ be recorded, vs auto channel can be recorded but now working in Overbridge is just “bad design” to me :-/

Thanks for this, I’ll read up on it. Saving on Rytm I have come to terms with, it was more that I expected overbridge that know the position of every knob and setting to “send” this to Rytm when loading a Ableton project, but might not be how Total recall works :man_shrugging:

1 Like