Is there a way to start a sequence on a beat other than 1?

I have a sequence which I would like to start on the “4 and” beat rather than on beat 1. Is there a way to do this?

In other words, here’s my trigs:

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08] 

[09] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] 
                               --      

When I hit [>] I want the first trig to be played to be [15]. The rest of the pattern makes sense organized the way I have it and chaining with other patterns, but when starting the sequencer I want it to start on the “and” of beat 4.

There’s a bunch of ways to do this using Trig Conditions, but you’d still need to start at beat 1.

Easiest solution, copy/paste your pattern, clear the pattern, add your trig on step 15 and use that as a ‘pickup/intro pattern’ into your main pattern.

3 Likes

So that kind of works.

I’m thinking I could set up a chain with the short pattern first and the second pattern second, but before it loops back to the short pattern, reset the pattern to the longer pattern only.

If I actually want to the sequence to start on step 16 (“and-y” of beat 4), the shortest sequence possible is two sixteenth notes, and so I have to account for that unplayed ghost beat somehow

1 Like

Another way I thought of doing this which doesn’t add extra patterns or involve extensive fiddling with trig probability is simply to play to the beat I want ahead of time and pause. Cue it up like a DJ. There’s nothing to save though, so I would have to do it each time, and might not be feasible in some situations (i.e. I’m trying to do this live and there’s too much else going on)

I don’t know if you’ve already resolved this or not, but my first thought is that you could use an extra pattern which is only 2 steps in length and contains the same data as trigs 15 and 16 of your main sequence, then by either pattern chaining, song mode, or manual changing of the patterns you would start with the 2 step pattern and it would naturally transition into your main pattern using the pick up notes that normally appear on steps 15 and 16.

I was also thinking about anacrusis (what you’re trying to achieve) a while ago and this is one of the methods that I came up with that made sense to me since the Elektron sequencer is capable of going from a 2 step pattern to a 16 step pattern or even a 64 step pattern really easily.

Hopefully that makes sense. It does require an extra pattern, but there’s no cuing up necessary, you would just start on that extra pattern and have it play only that first time as your intro.

5 Likes