Is the SL License for Blofeld Recommended?

Hi, I recently bought a used Blofeld desktop and wondering if you all recommend buying the SL License for it or if you think that it can do plenty without?

Thanks!

I’ve been wondering this as well for the longest time. If you are thinking about buying the sample licence, remember that Waldorf has is on sale at least once a year.

IIUC you can still load your custom wavetables into a Blofeld without having the SL, but multisamples require it.

1 Like

For me it was worth it since I got it when it was 50% off. I don’t think I’d would pay full price for it though.

It’s fun playing sample loops through the synth engine. Loading sample is a pain though using the Waldorf software (Spectre).

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s almost as cool as phase modulating realtime audio! Coupled with the blo’s filters and modmatrix, madness would ensue.

1 Like

URL doesn’t seem to work?

IIRC it has been around spring?

The best program for the Waldorf Blofeld is that one.
http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft

It’s work on Mac too courtesy of Codeweaver CrossOver MAC (https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac/)

3 Likes

Just ask the support of Waldorf to send you the sysex to restore factory wave slots and user wave slots and then you can replace without the worry to restore initial state…

That looks really cool - thanks for the link!

1 Like

I’d say it’s worth it but do be on the lookout for that sale.

My only complaint is that the process of updating the samples is an utter joke that makes the Rytm’s sample upload process look futuristic. You can’t change individual samples - you have to re-upload them all if you want to change any, and it’s very time-consuming. Hopefully there is a better option out there than Waldorf’s sample management tool that I’ve just missed somehow.

1 Like

FYI, a recent update to Sceptre addressed this.

To the OP, you can do quite a lot without it. So far I have gotten more mileage out of the user wavetables than the sample option. But it definitely does open a door into another world.

With the 60MB limit, it is best to not think of the unit as a more traditional sample playback machine.

2 Likes

mm…this is nice :relaxed: i should check which version i’ve got installed as i’ve not been using samples on the Blofeld for a bit…but indeed, it is worth having the SL license on it, it gives more sound design options, i would recommend it

the v1.0 update in 2014? or is there a new version that isn’t listed on the Waldorf website?

…that’s what’s on Waldorf’s website and i’m not sure it’s the one i’ve got as i can’t see the version number on it :expressionless: but i’m assuming it’s 1.00 … i do remember upgrading firmware (maybe last year?) but mm…not sure about Spectre though…

@guga, @Autopoiesis

Strange that it is kind of hard to find info out there… So I guess calling the update ‘recent’ might have been a bit off, but it was the last update.

The combination of firmware 1.23 and Spectre 1.0 gives incremental sample updates. If I remember right, you have to do one sample update before the functionality becomes obvious (I think it creates checksums to keep track of the samples). So, if you were to upgrade firmware and Spectre then do a sample update, it would do the usual blow away the old and take forever to upload. But I think on the blofeld screen you will see it saying something about calculating checksums while uploading. If you were to add one sample and do another update, the upload should take very little time and upload only the new sample.

It has been a while since I have done this so my memory might be a little fuzzy. But I remember seeing it work.

Edit: According to the facebook post, it is firmware 1.23, but Waldorf has firmware 1.22 listed on their website. I just powered on my unit and it says it is running 1.23.

2 Likes

nnice! :grinning: just checked my Blofeld and it’s actually running 1.22… time for an upgrade i guess :grin:
thanks for the find @bradleyallen

Nice find! I still can’t remember where I had gotten that version of the firmware…

To anyone interested, the SL upgrade is going for 20 Euros until May 17, 2020.

1 Like

Does this go on sale frequently? 103EU is a lot.

These are great new patches but requires the SL licence looks like.

When I had Blofeld I never used the SL function

No in my opinion