Is the SL License for Blofeld Recommended?

The SL license sale is ‘normally’ once a year, around black friday, €25,-. But this year I did not see it coming by.

Recommended? It you want multi sampling, yes. But the extra samples are nice too. I would buy it for the BF price, but not for normal price.

It’s on sale now promo code is 007. Think it runs until Aug 20.

3 Likes

Worth getting still? Anyone?

Yes it’s recommended you have more options sound wise some sound packs are for the SL only, and as mentioned here field recordings thru the Blofeld are great Having this on the desktop format is cool i use it with another samplers.

1 Like

For €30 at the moment it’s a steal, and you get 2 sound packs with the license as well.

1 Like

I got it, just need to wait on the activation. Spectre seems horrible to use though.

I haven’t really tried loading my own samples in there, but honestly the factory samples are pretty cool imo, you can easily get to some places you wouldn’t be able to with the normal osc shapes and wavetables. They’re definitely low resolution sounding/kinda cheesy but in a good way

1 Like

Spectre is strange. With the License you get the HGF Sampleset, you drag the wpc into spectre (after setting the correct midi out), then you transfer, which takes 25 minutes or so. be careful your computer does not go to sleep in the process. You should see a notice about transfer in the Blofeld’s display, and a picture of a waveform. Spectre does a checksum check in the beginning, so if the samples are already in the Blofeld, it does not transfer them again, there’s just a brief flash of the transfer window. I mistook that for a failed transfer. You can also check if transfer was successful by looking at the waves available in an oscillator. Took 4 or 5 tries until I got it to work successfully (on a mac, windows might be a better experience).

1 Like

Slow loading times aside, it’s really amazing. Been experimenting with making complex patches then totally changing the samples by adding new sound sets. Instant gratification and tones one wouldn’t have arrived at using conventional virtual analog or wavetables. The fact that you can even use FM on samples and can run it all through the Blofeld’s weird comb filters makes it pretty unique.

For bonus fun, try to then sample these weird evolving tones so you can re-introduce them back into the machine at a later date. And just imagine where multitimbrality could take you.

1 Like

Great info thanks all. I am still waiting to hear back from waldorf support.