Is the Rytm MKI easier to use than MKII?

Long story short: if I was frustrated by the buttons and UI of the Rytm MKII, would I be frustrated with the original Rytm too, or would you all suggested giving it a try?

I bought an MKII earlier this year, but was really put off by the complexity, screen menus that looked similar but behaved differently, and weird button UI.

But the more I think about it, the more I miss the sequencer and sound of it. Looking at the original Rytm, it looks more streamlined and simple. E.g. the buttons above the pads and below the knobs look more rational and clearly labeled. But maybe it’s just less accessible and requires more menu-diving?

For the record, I’m not too interested in live performance and fancy pad-jamming and knob twiddling. More into having a solid programmable drum machine with good sounds.

My thinking is maybe the MKI was what the Rytm was designed to be…and the MKII was trying to simultaneously do the same thing but also be more, which made it awkward. But maybe not. Thoughts?

Everything on the MKII is much more well thought out, and easier to use. I think you’d be better off getting a simpler device if that’s what you’re looking for. The TR8-S or even the digitakt. The MKI is more of less the same workflow as the MKII, just with more func+.

1 Like

I have both a Tr8s and a Rytm MK1/2 and a Digitakt. To answer the OP’s question: I think it’s very unlikely you’ll gel with MK1 if you hate MK2. TR8s is a UI disaster if you ask me, but maybe that’s because I’m used to the Elektrons and never had an x0x in the old days. Digitakt feels most accessible, but the general ideas behind the UI are in line with the other Elektrons.

1 Like

Also, if you want a solid programmable drum machine with good sounds for studio work, I wouldn’t recommend Digitakt.

Some people will surely disagree with me here but as a drum machine Digitakt is actually pretty weak when compared to RYTM as it is essentially just a digital sample player. Soundwise it totally lacks the weight and punch of RYTM in that department.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help you all! It sounds like I wouldn’t be getting a more intuitive experience with the MKI vs the MKII.

Not the answer I was hoping for obviously, but I’m glad to know! If I ever try my hand at the Rytm again, I’ll get the MKII again (or MKIII?!), but for now I’ll look elsewhere. Thanks!