Is the Octatrack right for me?

Hey Guys,

Im sorry if this has been asked before but i couldnt find information about it.
im currently using a standalone Analog Rytm Mk1.
Im pretty happy with it, however i want to expand the way i make music in a certain way.
I recently picked up a CD with tons of traditional Latin Amcerican Beats that would sound great together with some Rytm beats.
Thats why i though of the Octatrack (Mk1).
I havent found a lot of Information about this feature though:
Beeing able to sample a loop from a imperfect, live played performance (my CD) and timestretch/quantize it to a certain bpm so that i could layer my rytm.
I wouldnt be happy if i had to do this process on my PC.

Also i thought about adding in a small knob-per-function mono synth into another octatrack input and give it some effects and maybe small live loops played on the synth and repeated on the Octatrack on the fly.
I think it should be possible with thru and pick up machines though.

Deal breaker is the first function (timestretching/quantization)

Thanks in advance

How into sample mangling are you?

I think where the OT really shines is in its ability to really twist and change the sounds. Also in its dynamic sound morphing abilities with its scenes.

If you want to get really deep into morphing the sounds you’re feeding the OT- then yes.

If not, then their might be better pieces of gear for you to work with- the timestretch algorithm on the OT really alters the performed sound and lately, I’ve just been turning it off to avoid the artifacts it adds and reshape the composition process around the loops BPM

3 Likes

Definitely doable but the time stretch isn’t exactly perfect so bear that in mind. I like it, I think it has its own charm but it’s a 10~ year old algorithm so it’s not as great as modern time stretch. Does the job for me though. It’s a whole lot more than just that and will end up being used for many more things than you expect

2 Likes

Im new to sampling. I have only used synths so far.
For the most part i just wanted to have a 4-8 bar loop playing. The device should just be able to stretch these loops that maybe every downbeat matches my rytm with still keeping the shuffle feel and kinda imperfect feel of the live recording.
Seems like there are better options for that than an Octatrack?

What about using a DAW like Ableton, Cubase, or Logic to fit the samples to the beat? After that the sample may be used on various samplers, also on the OT.

I dont like working on a PC anymore.
The thread was made to check if the Octatrack is able to do it too.
Seems like its core abilities are something different than what i am looking for.
Sad tho because it would look sick next to my Rytm

Don’t you usually include a soundcloud file with a perfect OT imitation of a 303 in such a post?

6 Likes

Or at least a photoshop of a Tesco shopper leaving with a shopping cart full of 303s?

5 Likes

Looks are bad advisers. Full stop.

• Exception

• Exception

• Exception

:smile:

this could be good if you want to skip the sampling and trimming part

https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/afro-latin-percussion-vol-1/pid104/

They’re at 126bpm - timestretching on the OT isn’t too bad for something like this - rhythmic and tending towards short percussive. Plus its timestretch settings can be tweaked to favour beats

(tbh the OT is so bad at stretching or shortening longer tones and layered sounds that it’s really better though of as an effect, even if sticking close to the original bpm. Rhythms with sharp attacks and not too much decay fare much better)

There are loads of solo instrument loops in this collection so it’s quite minimal and useful, not too much of a feel of ‘someone elses’ stuff. However it might not please your sense of groove as much as your CD.

includes ‘time corrected’ versions of the loops too, so that can be good if you’re syncing to something fully quantised

recording quality is a little unpolished if I recall. But I like that

Unlikely I paid that much for it though - think they have sales now and then…

Oh and also you can speed and slow samples down by +/- 12 semitones on the Octatrack without any nasty artefacts - and that’s usually okay with non-tuned percussion sounds. You can go even slower with RATE but you get (nice) artefacts and of course the pitch goes really deep…

I think you got confused when you phrased your question, it should be ‘am I right for the Octatrack?’ :joy:

5 Likes

Seems like im not lol
So from what i read there are no hardware samplers that are easily capable of what i need (with decent qualitiy, no artefacats) am i right?
So my best option would be sample editing in my DAW and get a cheap sample player?
Too bad i was hoping the Octatrack to be the wonder machine that would fulfill all my wishes :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your effort.
Unfortunatly i really wanna use the tracks from the CD becuase i want exactly that sound.
Guess my best guess is using a DAW

1 Like

the Octatrack does best at fulfilling the wishes you didn’t know you had :star_struck:

for example, if I wanted to work with the type of material you describe, I probably wouldn’t bother to time-stretch it at all - I’d mostly be creatively slicing it up and re-sequencing it, and use re-pitching/rate p-locking to shift the rhythms in the slices around in funky ways and get different textures, and then I’d start adding modulations, and FX, and then I’d re-sample it, and. . .

4 Likes

That sounds really interesting.
I guess i could actually go with that workflow.
I would import my samples and set the slices manually on the downbeats and program them in the sequencer so it is in sync with RYTM.
Hopefully setting slices isnt too much of a pain

You could always post the sample and I’m sure one of the kind gents here would time stretch it for you to the BPM you want so you can hear what we’re talking about, maybe do some crossfader/playback rate stuff. I’d do it for you but I’m out at the minute

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the offer!
Well im actually looking for a general solution to do it many times with any (or many) samples.
I havent decided of that ONE loop but would rather have a set of 30ish loops to choose live and combine with the rytm.
These beats should then be on time (downbeats on equal distance) and adjustable in bpm (110-140bpm)
If it was only one or two loops i would actually do it in the DAW but i was hoping for an easy DAWless solution

How about the MPC Live? :no_mouth:

1 Like

Good Idea, i have considered it. However i feel an MPC seems a bit overkill for that job, also price wise.
The octatrack is not cheap either but im already used to the workflow of elektron and could use a lot of the functions.

You could also just chop up the loops into hits in the rytm n sample lock em per step.
Bringing in an Octatrack for that will complicate your setup and creative process in a few ways. it has its pluses but if you can do what you want with just the rytm id go with that, unless as was mentioned you would like to use the OT for manipulation and exploration. then its more than justified.

1 Like