Is the Octatrack mki worth it?

I am looking to upgrade with a better sampler. I’m betweena digitakt & octatrack mki due to the price? I am aware of the workflow differences and would honestly love an OT. Are there any notable downsides? Thanks

It’s fundamentally the same thing. MKII has some additional buttons to make the UX a bit nicer, and they improved the inputs so there’s more headroom on the KMIOI, but otherwise they’re identical.

1 Like

An MKII would not satisfy that desire any more than an MKI.

2 Likes

While they are identical for the most part, I will say the extra buttons and backlit buttons make the workflow easier IMO. I had the same thought when choosing between the MK’s. Ultimately I find that the new buttons, better visual cues, and 3 year warranty pointed me to an MKII.

If i already had an MKI though I would not have made the upgrade I don’t think.

2 Likes

Flip a coin. I got the dps mark 1 because I like the aesthetic more and it was cheaper by at least $200. The mark 2 look has grown on me more and those extra buttons seem really helpful for workflow, but I dont regret my purchase.

3 Likes

Not that I can tell.
It’s sort of an odd duck but after a while it’s just amazing.
The Effects and Scenes alone are worth it, everything else is just icing on the cake.
The hardest part for me was understanding how “sampling” works.

3 Likes

BuT ThE OcTa hAs BAD FX

1 Like

I had a MKI and sold it. I then bought a MKII a year later. The extra buttons def. made a difference and I do like using it better than I did originally. I do find myself using the DT more as it’s quicker and more fun, though. Overall, though, the MKI and the MKII are the same thing.

1 Like

Compared to what?

Compared to $500 dedicated FX boxes lol

Yeah but do those boxes also route multiple live inputs in various ways tied to a crossfader and a bank of 16 scenes, as well as sequence midi gear, live sampling, p-lock, probabilities and all in all sounds like YOUR own unique creation and character?

Please PM me these magic effects boxes, I’m definitely shopping for FX, but not because the OT is lacking.
To me the OT’s effects are GOLD.
But I like a specific range of gear, I don’t need “only the best,” I’m as much into character.

3 Likes

Personally I thought that the OT’s FX were a bit on the weak side and rather basic, even when compared to the FX on my 2004 Yamaha CVP (though I did like dark reverb).
Yes the OT has a lot of other functionality and all FX parameters can be P-locked and Scene’d etc but that does not alter the “quality” of the FX algorithms.
I suppose it all boils down to what each individual wants from FX.

I was being sarcastic

13 Likes

Yes Mk1 is worth it.
Bigger screen.
Older encoders might not be as sturdy, but the scaling is much nicer to use.
I dont like grey, the square buttons, backlit buttons, or OLED screens so for me, MK2 is of no interest anyway.

4 Likes

IDK I used DT and now OT MKII. So I was used to the scheme already? And got s deal with a 64gb card. Prices look flux on ebay saw 2 a mki and mkii go for roughly a little over a G just a few days ago. I’d say surf reverb and ebay or forum. But either is good as far as similitude.

1 Like

MkI is more worth it than a MkII simply because it is cheaper and does virtually exactly the same apart from some UI buttons and (if I understand correctly) higher headroom on the input sampling side, but otherwise overall output quality is identical (I could be wrong).
Some say the crossfader is a bit less pleasant, knobs less satisfying and smaller screen on the MkII … but perhaps just different rather than worse.

Oh yeah, and the OT MKI is black and aesthetically the roundy buttons might be cooler. Some also prefer the leds above the buttons rather than integrated…

Overall I regard the OT FX as very capable utilities rather than ‘wow FX’. The send loop negates lacking muscle in the FX dept anyway.

DT is surely crisper, and a sound I like - but then again, the DT to me seems to have a distinctive scooped out mid signature that gives it that hi fi sizzle that is recognisable - the OT is more neutral. whilst still very high quality audio if not super high like the DT. DT is really a super insta sketch pad though rather than a mangler absorption journey like the OT. You’ll reverb and filter your way a lot quicker to pleasant groove on the DT in my opinion.

I’m holding out for whatever the next OT iteration is, assuming it is a full MkIII or true version 2.

4 Likes

This is where I’m at as well even though I’ve had a MK1 in my cart multiple times. The DT is a fantastic sketchpad, but the arranger workflow is easily my least favorite thing about it. In the meantime I’ll keep practicing on the DT/DN and make use of what I’ve got.

1 Like

Main difference appart from hardware is that MKI can do Mutiply (Pickups) without external midi. MKII can’t.

1 Like

…oh, come on guys…seriously…?
…all the same from scratch…?

…don’t u ever get tired to answer the same questions and discuss the same things again and again and again…?

1 Like

Nope.
Thats why its called a cult.
OCTACULT

1 Like