Is The Elektron Dark Trinity Still The Ultimate Goal in 2022?

I can’t do this with elektron boxes. I start by saying “I’ll have the digitakt only for samples, the syntakt only for drums, the digitone only for basslines and pads…”. But I always build complete grooves on each of these boxes and then mix them together…

5 Likes

It’s one of the “pro” reissues, so a lot easier to gig with.

To be fair, I doubt I’ll ever be jetting off to Berlin for gigs (I’ll be lucky if I get out of the East Midlands open mic scene) so it’s not too big a deal.

1 Like

the original trinity was made of
SID Station
MachineDrum
MonoMachine

The silver trinity. How I miss them.

2 Likes

:orange_heart:

2 Likes

I think it is too much stuff - 2 machines is more than enough

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s every chance I’ll drop the A4, then it’s just ST, OT and a monosynth.

Easy peasy.

2 Likes

Yeah i think ST+OT and a mono with dedicated knobs is a fantastic weapon

2 Likes

I was practicing a potential live setup with the A4 doing most of the work, SP-404 sending some samples through the A4 and the Heat on the end to make it all big and crunchy. Seems like it should be pretty simple but I started losing my mind trying to keep track of which pattern I was playing on the A4, which tracks were muted/unmuted and what was on them, what bank I was on for the SP-404, managing levels across it all, etc. etc.

I think my preferred Holy Trinity is just any single Elektron box + Heat + the spirit of Dataline over my shoulder telling me everything is gonna be okay.

4 Likes

…with all respect…but the original DARK TRINITY is a timeless all electronic colours covered music instrument rig and therefor deserves also the term holy…now and tomorrow even more…

it’s far beyond relevance…

while in 22’s meantime… an ot and a st can do the “same”…
and as much i love the a4…on stage it drove me nuts, too…

2 Likes

I changed the title by mistake due to some suspicious advice. The original title didnt include the word relevant. More are the three named the ultimate goal still in Elektron world. To have all three in front if you. Or could one be subbed for something else.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Do that. Your brain will thank you

2 Likes

Yeah, I know, it is literally just being used for processing, so maybe I can achieve most of what it’s achieving with a thru and a neighbour on the OT.

We’ll see…

It does make a lovely filterbank though…

1 Like

Title of thread amended back to original.

1 Like

Makes more sense now.

1 Like

Goddam it bad advice got me some shtick🫤

2 Likes

Someone correct my history…?

When the “dark trilogy” idea came about, all the boxes were the mki’s and Electron only had those three (in production)? So at that time aspiring to have all three was also aspiring to have the whole contemporary Elektron range.

Today we have more options.

2 Likes

Indeed you are correct.
The original ‘trinity’ or Elektron three way, was Monomachine, Machinedrum, Octatrack.

The good old days. Before the Empire…

Now they have a huge line up. And relevance is entirely subjective. Ones goals are ones own, and probably of little interest to any one else.

1 Like

The workflow is the same on both machines Fin, no headache at all

knock knock… who’s there

1 Like

Mary Hopkin.

1 Like