Is the A4 for me?

Hi yall. Not sure if this is worth opening a new thread for, but here we go.
I have a bunch of boxes that I’m fairly happy with: DN, ST, and more recently DT. I also have a TR6S which is a ton of fun, and an MC707 that I was trying to make into the centerpiece of my setup (so a multitrack mixer and performance fx into Ableton).
While that’s fun and dandy, I think I’ve come to the realization i can only work with 2-3 machines at the same time, and that the MC707’s clunky UI is making me keep it in the drawer.

Enter A4, which I’ve overlooked this entire time. I’ve been contemplating getting one (probably a mk1) to replace mc707 and take on melodic duties. I somewhat struggle with designing more traditional sounds with DN and ST, and the performance macros seem interesting. Reading of A4 as a “small modular in a box” seems intriguing to me, without going down the eurorack rabbit hole.
Apologies for the wall of text. Would appreciate any input at all, thanks!

2 Likes

Hi yourself :tophat:

I recently got an A4 mk2 after using DT, DN (among a few others) for years.

I really like its raw sound and the modular-in-a-box aspect but in my experience it’s a beast hard to tame. Best to accept it for what it is. So with my DN I can go and design a sound or a pattern and it would be more or less what I thought. The A4 on the other hand I find more unpredictable at times. It often shines at sounding gritty and raw. I find it pairs nicely with the DN that can sound crystal clear and very digital. It’s also great for percussive, kick-type sounds.

I’d say it largely depends on the kind of music you want to make and what you value most in a piece of gear. The Analogs are a good choice for their modulation capabilities, building complex patterns, performance macros. But if you’re after a specific sound palette you’d better try one or look for it online. Check if you like what you hear from people using it.

4 Likes

IMO A4 excels at everything but “traditional” sounds.

5 Likes

You sound a bit like me, I’d say the A4 could be a good choice.

It’s interesting to read @ligature 's experience because I’d say almost the opposite! :sweat_smile: It’s essentially 4 dual oscillator analog monosynths. If that’s a sound you like then I think you’ll get on with the A4. I don’t struggle to sound design on it any more than other monosynths, personally - with each you got 2 oscillators (each with multiple sub osc options), 2 filters, and multiple modulation sources - you get everything you’d expect with a monosynth and more. Being an Elektron box there’s lots of additional power when sequencing but ultimately that’s what you’re dealing with. You can make it as simple or as complex as you like.

It’s very versatile within that framing - and if you want ‘traditional’ analog sounds it gives you them in spades. Tearing, detuned thick sounds come with ease.

I’ve been learning to work with my Digitone but I often have to fight its character and struggle finding the sweet spots. So far I’ve never had to do that with the A4.

3 Likes

It’s probably just me having spent so little time on the A4 compared to the DN :grimacing:

1 Like

I had an A4 MK1.

I sold it.

I regret this.

Just get a MK1, if you don’t like it, sell it for little to no loss.

7 Likes

Could well be it! You’re not the only person I’ve seen say something similar so you’re not alone though - I do wonder if it’s partly to do with the kinds of synths we gravitate toward and sounds we like etc.

100% this - I picked up a MKI, it’s possibly the best value synth I’ve ever bought. When I break down everything it does it’s pound-for-pound better value than a Volca.

7 Likes

What Fin25 said! I got a mk2 but if I were in your position, with sh prices as low as they are, I’d snap up a mk1. Irrespective of what you get…it rewards investment of time…lots of time.

4 Likes

tl:dr - Go get it!

Hello, I’ve been playing with an A4 MK2 almost exclusively for about half a year now. Before that I was kind of obsessed with DN which I sold to fund the A4. It’s a very versatile synth that gives you endless possibilities from weird patches feeding through from one track’s filter to the next to whole performances/songs. Don’t believe the ones who say it’s complicated to get anywhere with it. After learning the layout of the controls I dial in everything within minutes if required.
Only thing I’d say the A4 doesn’t excel at is pad sounds. But that might also just be me sucking at designing these in particular.

If you need more input check these threads: Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far? and When did you start to have rewarding moments w/ A4

6 Likes

I agree with the general consensus, but having only had newer OLED Elektron devices, when I got an Analog Keys the screen was a big buzz kill for me… I’d personally spend a bit more and get a mk2 if you have a DN and ST as switching between them and an A4mk2 is way easier IMO.

6 Likes

I had an Analog Four many moons ago. Sold it.

I’ve wandered around and only by playing with tons of other synths I’ve come to appreciate the possibilities of the A4 fully. It’s such a versatile box. So I got a MK2.

I’m a sequencing person, and I think it’s an especially good fit for that — perhaps a True Player™ would like a synth that’s performative in other ways, not sure.

I find a lot of the sounds I’m after in that box – dubby, broken/fragile, grimy…

I think the MK2 is very nice vs. the MK1, happy I got it, but of course the price is different, too.

5 Likes

It is a great machine, and can do drums really well, too.

I don’t think it makes for a good substitute for a poly synth if you are the sort that likes that - it can do a bit more in that arena than your average paraphonic mono, but that’s sort of a waste of its talents if you ask me.

Drums, percussive sounds, drones, and sequenced mono basses/arps are it’s strong suit.

2 Likes

They really are one of the most versatile synths on the market.

I bought an Analog Keys back in 2017 and loved it, but hadn’t got a clue how to get the best out of it, so sold it and bought a Moog Subsequent 37, as that’s what I thought I needed, only to get very bored of that and then replace it with an A4 mk2 in 2019, which I’ll probably never get rid of. I’d possibly even buy another one to run as a synced pair.

As long as you’re familiar with how Elektron menus work, you can’t go wrong, IMO.

3 Likes

It’s my favorite synth. Just get one… at the price Mk1’s go for these days you can’t go wrong.

5 Likes

I pretty much start every new project on my A4. I don’t even do it consciously - it’s always the machine I seem to be tinkering with when inspiration hits.

Personally I’m not close to ‘taming’ it but it’s extremely easy to get interesting sounds out of (even if just building/tweaking from some of the amazing sound packs available on this site)

4 Likes

I sometimes joke that my A4 is the best Elektron drum machine. But it isn’t really a joke - it can make wonderful drums!

4 Likes

Thank you all for the very lovely input. Seems like an A4 is indeed next on my list.

I realize my “traditional” sounds my in my original post is misleading. I’m not a classic polysynth player, definitely more of a sequencer hack.

In terms of the music I’d like to make, I’m all over the place. Mainly gravitate towards IDM, techno, dubby sounds (hence getting a DT recently for break mangling).
Seeing Xeno and Oaklander recently made me want to play around with different sounds like strings and modular-ish basses:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DX4A4fek7E

I hate that I seem to fall into the trap of “downsizing” but hey, something about the a4 just seems to intrigue me. MC707 can very likely do those sounds but the thought of menu diving is painful compared to the Elektron. Likewise I love ST and DN but I feel like they naturally push me into other territory. Cheers all!

2 Likes

…it’s a different beast than ur other elektron gear…

main difference is, while ur digi devices contain all relevant info within a pattern, on the a4 u gotto learn to deal with kits…

so if u create a pattern on the a4, this is not bound the sounds u choose/create within it…
so be warned, if u don’t save a kit (that’s 4 different sounds) ur pattern will never return the way u created/saved it…

apart from that, it’s surely a great and way better choice than ur roland box, but as u already felt, when it comes to hardware and workflow, there’s a peaklevel where it get’s out of hand and overview…three elektron devices alone but at once, is already around that threshhold…

but never the less…an a4mk1 is a no brainer for actual 2nd hand pricetags…
and the only truu analog synth u might ever need…

but it’s not like ur other elektron gear…sure, plocking and sequencing concept is all the same, but beyond that, it’s a totally different kind of beast…and sure the performance macros are great, but that’s also the corner, where menudiving at first, is just part of the whole deal…
and a4mk1’s display is the smallest of them all…

2 Likes

I have an AK, and while I love it, I do struggle with the screen, in comparison with my Digi boxes. If you have a computer as part of your setup, however, Overbridge is really fantastic for doing sound design. I would say in general, the OB interfaces are brilliant for this for all of the boxes…just a great way to see all or most of a patch’s parameters at once. For my AK, it’s been really helpful for me in building intuitions about how the different parts interact with one another.

2 Likes

Is the screen much worse than Octa mk1? That one was fine for me.
I could possibly snag a mk2 but not sure if it’s worth the extra 500-600 dollars for me. I do like that quick perf knob though, and usb class compliance.

1 Like