Is Relevancy Still Relevant in 2023

Part gag, part serious question.

I kind of feel like that people who ask if a machine is relevant, kind of just wants to be in the cool crowd… everything is relevant and nothing is… it’s up to you what’s relevant or not… now go and make some music with your irrelevant gear….

30 Likes

No, but muting relavancy threads is.

18 Likes

Is there any gear out there that really is irrelevant now? Like something that has no particular desirable character to its sound, no nostalgia value, and is basically entirely superseded by much more affordable and available alternatives. Perhaps there is something that fits that bill, but I feel like everything that makes or processes sound has at least some kind of musical value…

5 Likes

I don’t really understand the concept.

Is a Juno relevant or a CS80?

If it sounded good 20 years ago it sounds good now. New things don’t make old things worse.

9 Likes

It feels like asking, “Is this still a thing I can use to make music?” And the answer, regardless of year or gear or relevancy, is always “No; then yes.”

1 Like

To me, relevancy questions come out of the consumerist element of this whole thing. Looking at everything as a catalog object.

When focused purely on music and creating it, I don’t think the questions make any sense.

5 Likes

Relevancy can still be relevant, as long as the superficial inclination to decline the legal ramifications of the vertices, equivalent to the position of mammal virtues, in a three dimensional plane of fundamental attributes to the latter, are superimposed with a magnitude of yellow and concern.

14 Likes

I stand corrected. I think…

Let me compute this.

1 Like

This definetly wins the word salad of the week award :1st_place_medal: :laughing:

1 Like

yes of course it is.

If relevancy exists then it is itself relevant.

(Please love my post as I crave relevancy and will also prove my point, which feeds my voracious hunger)

4 Likes

I love your post!

1 Like

Michael and I have created a simple example of relevancy.

We have both profited handsomely with our mutual likes.

God I can’t imagine what it must be like to be a youtuber watching your relevancy day by day in likes and subscribes.

A nod in the pub usually does me.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’ve run across the idea (maybe in Chuck Klosterman’s The Nineties? maybe elsewhere also…) that nowadays in the internet age, all past eras kind of coexist simultaneously…

Like, then “temporal relevancy” really isn’t relevant, in the sort of way, say, the 70s seemed dated during the 90s… but now we don’t really have that experience anymore… (instead, “a little bit of everything all of the time”)

Are MIDI data filers still relevant in 2023?

3 Likes

Forget house flipping, buy all the MDF2s on eBay, wait a year and 10x your money.

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Ok, not exactly the same but in the ballpark

3 Likes

It depends on what the meaning of the word “is” is.

1 Like

Does anybody actually ask if anything is relevant?