Is flagging used fairly on here?

That’s who that was! That was some funny shit @heretical_audio! Found it odd it was flagged to!

3 Likes

Yet above you’re swimming against the current and saying the rules don’t apply to nor impose on you … this posturing says you don’t respect the spirit of the rules (nor moderation) and the belittling of the flags you receive shows you don’t understand.

Now you’re picking a fight with me. You can’t make this about yourself nor by being a time/energy consumer. It won’t work out. We can’t deal with thousands of people on an individual basis, and certainly not with those with no respect for how this best services the majority of the others who make accomodations to get along.

Our pet peeve is people commenting in topic on their own post that’s just been flagged.

Elektronauts is appreciated as a working oasis in a sea of garbage elsewhere. It’s not by accident, it takes people bringing a different mindset here, and now that it’s worth protecting, people generally reign it in a bit. Banned people are posting here because they have elected to play it down a notch.

The fallacy that moderators want to moderate is so misguided. I value my time above all else. Wasting it on folk questioning their flags doesn’t score highly with me. Turning a blind eye to issues or stirring or people denying that the system works best for the majority won’t result in anything but future hassles and time wasted.

Sadly, some feel approval from their disapproval, but in general those people are largely behind us. Or have compromised to get along.

We get occasional gratitude, but generally it’s the disgruntled who are most vocal. It’s generally from those looking for a different vibe than the one which appears to work.

People could trust and respect that we act in good faith and that on the whole we get the tricky balance right, but some folk just can’t get along with the idea that they are somehow beyond reproach and nor do they consider how much investment it took to get it such that people regularly praise the forum as that oasis.

This success relies on the community flagging and respecting that it’s how the platform is structured and can best work with a small admin team.

All these offensive and incorrect judgements of the people flagging really only reflects on the simplicity of the critics’ judgement. Yet, these are the rules each and every one of us agree to when signing up. We necessarily have the final say and everything we do is visible to the whole admin team, everything. Like it or not, you have to get along with this… calling us self appointed morality police is as disrespectful as it was intended.

We rely on assistance from within the community, we learn to trust reliable sources and the anonymity is a significant aspect on that being a healthy level of support.

If every time one person made a topic about how annoyed they were about a single flag you can see the problem. We interject to aid understanding or offer insights (sadly lacking when folk are only seeing red) but I can’t sit here all day going around in circles. There will be errors and casualties and marginal calls the wrong way from time to time, but what I will not countenance is that we don’t act in good faith and nor that the majority flagging are not acting in good faith.

We’ve done this for years, we’ve seen every play and player, we see the signs and we know when to cut out losses and what works best, for all. Naturally, this isn’t going to work for every visitor to the site, it’s your responsibility to get along (rather than thinking of the needlessly pejorative of ‘conform’ as you charmingly phrased it)

The forum needs people to work with the same set of rules/values … i lose respect for those who proudly say they don’t flag, they’re basically not contributing to help the common goal, putting their own needs above the majority, making work for us . .well, that’s a bit anarchic and unlikely to work well by definition, the belittling caricatured nonsense spouted about flaggers only adds to this anarchy as it’s invariably a denial about what somebody can’t agree was a problem for another individual

Nothing would suit us better than if there were no need for flags, no need to intervene, no need to make that call … often you may need to disenfranchise the flagger or the flagged, it’s not black and white … on the whole it’s done with a view to make the forum the most welcoming it can be towards the majority (the middle) so naturally, the outliers will feel this sting from time to time - some can’t change, they’ll walk or are pushed, some can change and reign it in a bit to get along and some are in fact some of the most helpful flaggers on here.

What we don’t and won’t ever tolerate is abuse or thinly veiled contempt or trolling etc, especially when it’s based on misguided short-sighted views about a person’s own erring or lack of humility. A degree of common sense, civility and good will is all it takes to improve your outlook in these matters, but folk seem to rather dig a deeper hole when faced with looking in a mirror about a flash point or their reaction thereafter.

tl;dr flagging works, flagging fair, flaggers good, flagging helpful

20 Likes

Best meme ever!

17 Likes

I got flagged yesterday too and it was awesome! It made me feel dangerous!

8 Likes

wrt deleted post(s)

If you flag a post for lols/spite or make a silly disingenuous post to ridicule a heated topic it will be dismissed - it’s no laughing matter, it’s a needless waste of someone’s time either way

2 Likes

…used to smoke 4 cigarettes/course in the classroom. One cigarette for each corner of his desk. He thought he was cool…

2 Likes

You deleted my rhetorical question. What would happen if the flagging system actually was abused by people who dislike it by spamming the system?

I live in a country that has idiots fighting about flags. There are flags everywhere and always some politician moaning about flags. Flags flags and more flags.

I hate flags

they’d be suspended for wasting our time, as has happened with those disingenuously wasting our time or trolling … is that clear to you now ? (rhetorical)

1 Like

I’ll assume this is aimed at me? It’s all I got, nothing needs to be heated all the time!

1 Like

no, it clearly stated

[linebreak]^

okay … this wasn’t the discourse i had in mind today folks, so with respect, plz try not to ping me back, i’ve nothing more to add …

3 Likes

No, it was aimed at me for my question that was deleted.

My bad, I just saw silly and thought that has to be me!

3 Likes

From what I gather, “silly” posts aren’t allowed on certain threads. To be honest, I wasn’t aware of this until now.

no, some people know how to diffuse a situation (and recognise said) whilst others like to quietly set it alight

1 Like

I’m out anyhow (done posting on this thread). I’m not trying to stir shit. This is my personality lol.

2 Likes

Flags to assist moderators is fine. Folks do abuse it though and it’s hilarious.

Like/heart buttons are lame.

Also, what are people talking about, this place can be just as much of a shitshow as any other forum lol

Big thanks to the mods for doing their best though.

I feel like this topic is similar to the one about the recent « EZBot Discord situation ».

There is no reason for anyone well-intentioned to know who flagged. Whether or not that flag goes anywhere is up to the moderators. It’s not a user topic, it’s a topic of which community its owners build.

Besides, I don’t understand people getting defensive over their jokes getting removed. This is not a forum about jokes. People feeling safe to discuss music should matter more than anybody’s right to push their humor on others on this forum, I believe. Even on topics made for memes, there is no reason why anyone should be allowed to push their edgy jokes on someone who just wanted to have fun with other Elektron users.
I don’t think it’s « censorship » to say that « I prefer my Digitakt tips and tricks with as few holocaust jokes as possible ».

As for the « people get offended now » argument, it is exactly « bully rhetoric ». It builds a community where the louder members get to occupy the space and thrash it, while the quieter ones are forced to leave over time because of the atmosphere getting thick with cynism and ad hominem attacks.

While some may want that, not everyone does. What some see as « over sensitive strangers », some see as « demanding the bare minimum of respect ».

11 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more. Hearts are a way of showing kindness on the internet, which is usually an impossibly cranky place. It’s nice to be nice.

25 Likes