Is Faderfox still in business?

I was thinking about getting myself a Faderfox EC4 to use with my Elektrons but I notice everywhere has them on preorder and their website has now been parked. Have they finished trading?

https://faderfox.de

Actually, looks they they just don’t use a secure SSL certificate

http://faderfox.de/

Anyone using the EC4 in a three Digi setup?

1 Like

yep simply no ssl, there is a thread and it’s really worth going through, many advantages/disadvantages explained there, I too thinking getting the EC4 for DN/AR, still considering it vs the midi fighter twister but leaning towards the EC4…

1 Like

They were out of stock on Thomann for a while, but actually back in stock now.

1 Like

It’s funny how many businesses haven’t cottoned onto the need for SSL. So many potential customers must be indirectly turned away because their browsers require SSL.

1 Like

I guess they have no login or online shop so it’s really not needed, but you’re right about the browser issue. Mine told me it was unsafe and I had to choose to continue at my own risk.

Thanks for the link

I don’t think the midi twister has din midi right?

nope, only through usb host, but it has other strengths like separate push values and larger knobs and seemingly better ableton integration, but the ec4 has a screen and midi out and much much more banks/setups, I’ve figured you can create setups for sound design and for playing live in different banks and the great benefit is that you can use short names on screen to remember what is what, seems more useful to me…
also I don’t have a midi host and not always have ableton on so connecting the controller directly to the AR/DN seems the better choice…

DUUUUUDE. I love my EC4. I also have a UC4. Get it. Here’s my setup.

Digitone, Digitakt, Syntakt, iPad running AUM/Mozaic/FX/mixer, Micromonsta2.

The EC4 has the modwheels for the 4 DN and 12 ST channels for live manipulation. I also have templates for almost all the various synth pages and stuff. I can use it standalone with one box via the MIDITRS cables, or I have it hooked up and routed via AUM with USB on the iPad. It is indispensable to my rig now. Is it perfect? Nope. But it’s solid, has an easy online editor (the UC4 doesn’t, but on device editing is easy on both), and lightweight.

This entire set uses that setup (minus the UC4 as I didn’t have it at the moment).

2 Likes

Since the general availability of ‘Lets Encrypt’ in 2016 providing free and fully automatable (e.g. zero human touch installation and renewal) of SSL certificates there’s really zero reason for not utilizing them in 2022. Either their webhost doesn’t support LE (strong arming them into purchasing something) or their web developer is too lazy (incompetent) to implement LE. Neither one is a good look and easily remedied.

Aside from potentially scaring off customers from being ‘insecure’ (whether or not their website actually collects any data) is aside from the fact that Google and most other search engines heavily penalize sites that don’t utilize SSL by default. It’s really silly to see companies shoot themselves in the foot with something so easily avoidable.

4 Likes

Most browsers now enforce SSL as mandatory. Not having SSL on a professional website is really not good. If you have a site for a business and you want it to be accessible, you need SSL.

This. Let’s Encrypt is free. Its not hard to implement. People are just ignorant about it and it reflects badly on their business, hence this thread.

1 Like

What originally made me think they were out of business was that I clicked on an old (dead) link on elektronauts, and it took me to what I now know was their 404 page, but they have it set up as sedo parking.

http://faderfox.de/blah

Clicking on the Faderfox link takes you to the native instruments website. Why would you have a 404 page parked with sedo, showing a link with your own company name that takes you to another companies website?

I then typed their domain name directly into my browser and wrongly assumed it started with https, which gave me an error saying I was unable to make a secure connection to the server. Again, this made me assume they were out of business.

It was only after doing a Google search for faderfox I was able to find their website even though I knew the domain name. Not great I would say.

@faderfox you might want to look at this.

I think the major difference between ec4 and midifighter twister is the ec4 can be configured completely without a computer.

and has midi in and out for direct connection to synths

Faderfox is replying to email messages very fast, Great responsivness. I feel happy with that.

1 Like