Is Dawless the new Analogue?

I prefer music played on digital synths by robots, recoded into microphones, run through solid state chips, converted by computers to one’s and zeros, then uploaded to the cloud, and streamed to my earbuds.

1 Like

Honestly had no idea what a daw was till about 2016. And I had an Atari with Cubase 25 years ago.
Today I finally got fruityloops to work as a hardware controller. Who’d guess you had to enable audio out on the laptop to only send midi notes :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Now I can get busy with my #knobjam
Sounds a bit cheesy though.

1 Like

I’m more of a HAW guy myself.

Hybrid Audio Workstation.

You might say the he likes HAW.

#heehaw

6 Likes

:musical_note: imagine all the people :musical_note:
:musical_note: recording in the DAW :musical_note:

Doesn’t Autechre use a computer (Max)? Aren’t they like God on this forum?

1 Like

all this post punk era…where all sorts of hiphop and all sorts of techno are still the only next new thing in sub and popculture for 30 plus years by now…all cought in the pop will eat itself recycle eversince, where the only trend to count on, is that every next new thing will be a trend that once was a trend that run out of being a trend at some other point in time…

when i started out, the hot shit was keyboards and beats from tape, then the actual hot shit was full fledged bands with double kiks in the bottom and live vocals at the top of all lung…then beatmatching vinyl was the hot shit…then started the one guy, one laptop phase…then live vocals and live drums were the next “must” be added to the live equasion…then the who needs vinyl if 6 stereo files can beatmatch easily all at once phase…meanwhile hardware “only” started to became a thing, only to remind the older folks of some prog rigs from the 70ies, simply with a vanished band setup…meanwhile files carried by cd’s died out and the cd player became the beatmatching wonder machine of files on sticks and all lines between live act and dj finally blurried and u could only proof ur truuly live if u showed up with heaps of hardware, twiddeling at least many many knobs, but in best case way to busy due to repatching modulars, so much that u had no time to even face ur audience at least once during a show…nextlevel shoegazing…while the dj only grew stronger and stronger, since behind the decks u can show off in any way u think it might be apropriate while still looking busy busy anyways. and promoter realized, the average audience is happy with one guy behind some table and even nothing but that can sell u out tickets for a football arena…

hitting stages was/is and always will be a dream job…and people do what people do…pretending…in one way or the other…no matter if they really work hard, whatever that means…or if they just show off, whatever that means…it’s all showbiz of some kind…like it or not…

welcome to lala land…once there was a time, u needed some sort of musical skills to begin with…nowadays it’s damed easy to cheat in a million ways…either way, end of the day the main question remains simple…are u a great pretender…?

meanwhile, whatever suits ur vision best, whatever gear u think u should accompany urself with to translate ur sonic thing, to deliver some sort of good entertainment, daws replaced the tape, the studio three decades ago and are the backbone of all music production and all music biz…the only other option there is…and that’s the only truu and most artistic statement to make… aaaaaaall u do, only happens once in realtime…

but even then, whatever u like to carry to the stage with u…on that stage waits a little stagebox where u plug in all ur final signal…and this stagebox will deliver all u got to give to some sort of daw before it hits the amps that drive the soundsystem…

…is XXXX the new analog?..there is no new analog, never was…only next new trends that were already a trend in some other fashion variant…dropping that as a question is nothing but another fakefancy claim on a t shirt…

7 Likes

All this talk about DAW’s and here I am on Windows

windows

5 Likes

i think dawless completely changes the way i make music. i tried to go mutlitrack usb recently and it made me realize how much of my decision making is based on working around the limitations of hardware only music making

1 Like

I’m all about the post-DAW scene now. It’s like Dawless, but with a DAW.

10 Likes

…damn…UR one sentence and a single video snippet comment nails it soooo much better than all my wannabee wise, been there did that lost in translation and too long sentences… :vulcan_salute:

really made my day, really made me laughing hard…

3 Likes

Yea I have an interesting relationship with the two workflows. I think that I’m probably capable of making better music in the DAW - the opportunity for correcting mistakes, issuing improvements, and making very carefully considered and executed tracks is far higher in that environment, and (on the most part, although not in all circumstances) I gain much more control over everything I’m doing. Clip launching in Ableton allows for the majority of sequencing and performance I need and I can manage the whole lot from an APC-40.

But I find myself in a very different mindset in the box, and the goals and outcomes change as a result of it.

With that control comes a pressure to use it - everything needs to be really precise, and I find myself spending more time nudging stuff about on timelines than I do making cool noises.

I think that I’d spend far too long trying to make a track right - where now I have a 2-track master recording and if I can’t fix what’s wrong with it with some gentle EQ’ing and compressing then it is the way it is.

It’s weird because it’s like the inability to make it better somehow presents itself as a benefit, because it stops me from obsessing over it.

I think the focus thing helps me too. If I worked in the DAW I suspect I’d spend a whole day on a track and do lots of other stuff between, I’d procrastinate and just manage my time poorly. Where now I switch the gear on and focus on it until I’m done, then it gets switched off. I lose hours to it but it’s focus time.

2 Likes

Knobtakt

1 Like

:joy: Like this…

EDIT: My meme missed out ‘jammer’

8 Likes

Surprised to see DAWless has come to mean more authentic or legit or something. As someone who went from working entirely ITB to working entirely OTB, I find it much easier to work with dedicated instruments with immediate tactile controls than a computer (though trackers come close). You can’t record a video of VSTs surrounded by succulents and action figures though, gotta live that DAWless lifestyle in a clean, brilliant-matt-white apartment surrounded by funko pops and cactuses…

5 Likes

I’ll go by #FaderWiggler.

#Dawcurious

1 Like

#DAWknocker

I’ve got a giant transformer stood next to my push 2, does that mean I’m hybrid?

2 Likes

You mean this kind of transformer right? For pure analog warmth? :smiley:

2 Likes

See above… There nothing warm about devastator…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like