Is anyone using the Octatrack with the OP-Z? How?

I’m wondering about how to use the Octatrack and the OP-Z together. The OP-Z’s sequencer is just amazing, but the Octatrack has all those great FX, plus scenes, and much bigger samples.

The only thing I’ve done so far is to sample from one to the other, but I might try to use the Octatrack for longer samples in a Static Machine, and also to resample the OP-Z.

Is anyone here using the two together? What are you doing with them?

Some watching material:

5 Likes

I’m also curious to see if there are any power users working with both devices together. I have both and I like both, but lately I’ve been using the OT more, and enjoying the heck out of it. As such, the OP-Z isn’t getting much time, and sorta seems redundant (yes, I realize they are very different, but there are still a lot of similarities in how I use both). If I’m not taking the OP-Z out and jamming on the go, then I’m not really taking advantage of one of its primary features.

1 Like

Same situation here. Op-z when I’m on the go, OT when I’m home… but I don’t travel that often, so the op-z kinda feels like a luxury item.

I guess you could muscle up the synth section of the op-z with the 3 lfos of the OT: filter env to boot plus better lfos all around… Then using the lead and chord parts, you’d have a small but cool polysynth to sample.

Yeah - that’s the term I was struggling for - luxury item. Lately, I’ve been thinking that selling it and keeping any eye out for something that is more out there / interesting. Either way, probably the definition of a first-world problem.

1 Like

I find using the OP-Z outside to be impossible. The LEDs aren’t bright enough to see, even in nice shade.

As for using the two together, I’d like to use the OP-Z to sequence samples on the Octatrack. So, for instance, I’d use the kick track (track 1) on the OP-Z to sequence a sample chain of kicks on the Octatrack’s track one. Why bother? Because I could resample into the Octatrack T1, or just quickly load alternate samples on the fly/using the fader.

I should probably try that out right now!

I work from home two days a week and the OPZ is brilliant for playing with when I just can’t be arsed looking at Excel any longer.

Having said that, I generally use my OT. I see potential in using both together, even more so if I had an Oplab module but I know that I’d set things up, jam once or twice then go back to how I prefer to use the OT.

Not hot the urge to sell the OPZ but even when I’ve taken on holiday or weekends away I never use it! I’ve only ever actually used it in my studio!

1 Like

I just saw that I can’t trigger the slices on the Octatrack via midi notes. So, this particular trick is out. Way too hard to implement.

@cold_fashioned @J0n35y I bought it thinking it would replace my Circuit (I used to carry it everywhere, but with its case, it quickly filled up my backpack…). And at first, I was pretty sure the Circuit was a goner… but lately, I’ve been missing the immediacy, focus and excellent interface of my little grid buddy. Yes, it’s much simpler and restricted but you can really play it… and the nova engine sounds quite good. And it makes a bit more sense to partner it with the OT.

Welp, brb, looking for my Circuit.

3 Likes

Ha, I’m the same. I’ve tried to use it a few times away from home, but it just seems better when I have a desk to sit it on. I’m holding on to it for the time being, mostly because I have a somewhat irrational hope of them fixing the double triggering in a future update, which is my main issue with it. It’s been sitting unused in a pouch for the last couple of months…

Yeah, the double trigs are crazy when you don’t use it on something stable… :neutral_face:

1 Like

The sequencer isn’t actually good at all. Through midi, we are left with only 16 steps… though I believe the midi track can be sequenced?