Is an OT mk1 with a broken display worth getting?

I gave OT lessons/advices to a blind guy, used to MPCs, on the phone. He was counting number of button presses. His wife was helping him. No news. He probably gave up…

6 Likes

I have a PO33 with a broken screen. I can use it. Main problem is to set a precise tempo.

1 Like

if its broken and theyre trying to get rid of it as is then its fucked. if it was a cheap or easy fix theyd do it, common sense really but easy to ignore when you can smell a deal. unless its literally your mate id just buy a working unit

2 Likes

How much do they want for it? I would only do it if you are a competent repairer or have a good friend who can help you with it at minimal cost.

2 Likes

For something like a model samples. “Display? What display?”

For something as menu divy as the Octatrack, absolutely not. Anything that you can’t take out and enjoy the moment you get it would be a convenience and celebration that wouldn’t be worth it unless the price was a REAL bargain

3 Likes

This one ?

Octasmacked!

3 Likes

Is this a joke?

That one sold for (more than?) 175 pounds which is totally crazy

No

2 Likes

The funny thing is that the owner kicked it with his foot. (Footprints on OT).

1 Like

For the first few weeks of my Octatrack usage I didn’t realize it came in the box, so I was just playing the box for the first few tracks. Then one of my friends saw what I was doing and informed me that the real octatrack was inside.

Of course, I just thought he meant that in a zen kinda way. So I was like, “you’re right” and kept on playing the box for another couple of months.

It wasn’t until I was playing my first octatrack only set when he got frustrated, stormed up on stage and removed the octatrack from its box.

I was like “wtf? What do all these buttons do?!”

People aren’t kidding when they say the Octatrack has a steep learning curve!

14 Likes

Dude you were using the Octatrack in the box? Does that even count as DAWless???

5 Likes

Somehow there’s a way to continue joking about how my computer is still in its box, but I can’t figure out how to thread that needle.

1 Like

Whoever coined that must not have been getting the good deals.

Ah I was asking because others said that they had to do a lot of menu diving when working with the OT.

Did I get that right? You wired a PO display to an OT? Do you have pictures of this?!? This sounds interesting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As far as i know PO displays are not generic and are made by TE specificly for the type of pocket operator that they are built into. I have a PO33 with a broken screen as well and you can’t replace that yourself because you won’t get a spare screen in the first place.

Just wanted to say … currently it seems like I am not going to buy the thing and there are other interested buyers anyways. If I’ll buy it I’ll keep you updated and also will post before/after repair picks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thank you all for your nice answers :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a sound strategy if your goal is to obtain an OT and make music.

If you want to learn to repair broken audio gear, keep your eyes open for the cheapest broken stuff possible. IDK if old analog hifi gear is still cheap, but that’s a good starting point. Under-loved synths are another good choice.

Get some practicing with desoldering and repairs and then when a premium piece shows up you will be better able to assess your own ability to do repairs.

7 Likes

“in a zen kind of way” ahahahaha :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Did someone say Zen?

In Zen Buddhism, the keisaku (Japanese: 警策, Chinese: 香板, xiāng bǎn ; kyōsaku in the Soto school) is a flat wooden stick or slat used during periods of meditation to remedy sleepiness or lapses of concentration. This is accomplished through a strike or series of strikes, usually administered on the meditator’s back and shoulders in the muscular area between the shoulder and the spine. The keisaku itself is thin and somewhat flexible; strikes with it, though they may cause momentary sting if performed vigorously, are not injurious.

Are we about to start talking about chips now?

1 Like