iPad purchase considerations?

Not sure i agree. The mouse at least gives me tactile feedback. It’s not expressive, but I feel like I’m “doing” something with all the clicking and pointing (ugh). Same with turning a knob. I don’t get the same degree of physicality from a pane of glass.

1 Like

I’ve yet to find one that I enjoy as much as even turning tiny knobs on a Volca.

My iPad can’t replace my Octatrack. I have both, obviously.

I had to put a lot of effort into memorizing certain operations on the OT, but afterwards I’ve been able fly around on my OT compared to iPad.

iPad apps don’t always respond in a predictable manner to my finger taps and swipes. Not like the OT where i know the knobs and fader are going to behave as I expect, barring a bizarre new bug introduced by OS update.

Regarding your comment about travel, I too had fantasized about attaching all kinds of stuff to my iPad when working on music on the train or on a flight, but in reality, it’s a PITA to dig out extra stuff to plug into the iPad - I’m always more productive using apps that work standalone (no external hardware) when I’m sitting in my seat in a crowded coach-class airplane cabin.

5 Likes

+1
I remember taking my iPad and a Launchcontrol XL to a friend’s house, a few years ago.
I was thinking about doing all these routings, but I eventually just focused on Samplr alone… I just sampled some stuff with my Behringer UCA222 and started playing with it. lots of fun.

I hope one day we get an update on that app - simple features like Ableton Link, MIDI control (at the very least for layers volume!), individual outputs for each track (this would bereally, really good, to process them with better fx)… and ideally although not counting on it - beeing able to record the movement on envelopes, maybe fx too…
oh, and a BPF!

WiFi sharing has been my default method to download/upload files to/from iPad
I remember when I first discovered it - it’s really simple and quite fast, downloads directly to your download folder…
to those who don’t know it - it’s a feature inside AudioShare - you just connect to an IP and it shows your iPad files in your browser.

2 Likes