Ipad DAW?

Hi. When you have all sequences that make up a track in xequence but you wish to adjust the sound, with filters and everything, that can change the sound of the instrument. You can record individual tracks in AUM, ready to export to multitrack daw. How can you play back say the first recording of a stem or individual track just recorded, with the unrecorded xequence tracks?

Thanks.

So to sample then use abelton link. Might just be better to try and tweak everything and record at the same time. Mind you. I dont even know what Im on about. Thanks though.

Honestly I donā€™t know how to play only one track in Xequence 2. Iā€™m still learning how to use it.

Best to ask on that thread in AB forum.

No one has mentioned Nanostudio 2 yet. Itā€™s pretty damn slick. I really havenā€™t been using it at all until recently but it seems like it will become one of my go to music tools.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t record audio though. Midi and samples only.

1 Like

Stumbled across Mr. Blaschkeā€™s post about how to trigger a sample in AUM from Xequence. Even has pictures for the visuallly-oriented learners. As he notes later, this is for a very basic use - one-shot sample. Anything more sophisticated, take a look at Audiolayer

Continuing the discussion from Ipad DAW?:

SunVox is pretty amazing, but Iā€™m just dipping my toes into it. And am unsure if it would meet your requirements.

iPad is an amazing music making device, but itā€™s no laptop. Itā€™s more of a modular plug this into that kind of device, route this to that and see where it goes open ended sort of thing. Traditional DAW, not so much. But, some people seem to be able to use it as such.

Fabfilter, audio damage, and AUM is pretty slick. I enjoy working with au3 as there is less screen sliding which gets distracting really quickly.

1 Like

I have a fond appreciation of Caustic 3 for android. Itā€™s pretty filthy.
G-Stomper is pretty neat also.

https://singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

Android ! Haha, fux apple

SunVox is indeed amazing, and cross-platform just like Caustic, so you can use it on Android, your desktop (doesnā€™t matter what OS), etc. The synth modules have a distinct tonality that I dig.

The OP seemed kind of overwhelmed though. He hasnā€™t posted since the OP. I had to watch several SunVox videos before I could start doing anything on it so itā€™s not the quick starter that he might be looking for. The sequencers are pattern-oriented. Iā€™ve heard thereā€™s a way of recording linear sequences on it instead of just looping patterns but I have yet to learn how to do that. But it does deliver a lot of power for the low price (free on desktops, a few bucks on IOS/Android.

Wow, thanks for all the responses and discussion. Governor silver is right in that it is all slightly overwhelming in terms of scope and depth of options - and this is something I really wanted to get away from when I first ditched the desktop and moved to Elektron and outboard only. Its more important now grabbing an hour here and there after kids-bedtime-relentless-tidy-up-chat-with-wife-time.

With that in mind, Papertigerā€™s reponse struck a chord and I simply want to simplify my already simple-ish setup to make making music more immediate and with hard limits, but with options for audio which are obviously not available with the DN only.

I was lucky that when discussing this with a mate, he mentioned (and happily loaned me) his hated - and oft publicly maligned - Akai MPX16 as a potential solution.

Having mastered the MPXā€™s features (about 4 I think) in a hour, it really does fit what I need pretty well.

It can very quickly record a long-ish stereo sequence from the DN, assign it to a midi note (locked to CH1, for some reason), and trig this from the DN using a trig condition for timing / looping. Its polyphonic so I donā€™t lose the tail (a bugbear about OT is assigning 2 tracks to 1 sample to eliminate this!).

Reverb is serviceable, and I can load / resample loads of other samples into it for additional trigging.

I route as such: DN>MXP (for sampling only)>DN>Analog Heat = pretty simple.

It can also switch off monitoring which allows external resampling - i.e., running the audio out of the MPX to ext effects and recording back in - although thereā€™s a bit of messing around to do this.

The MPX is very plasticy and cheap, it colours (dulls) the sound a bit as well. Screen is crap, and editing options are limited at best. It also doesnā€™t get around having to pattern chain on the DN to make songs, but Iā€™m used to that now (write them down) and there is something nice about being uncoupled from a time line in terms of making edits to patterns to add variety / progressions, etc.

However, the speed of sampling for this is great, and as it just a soundbank essentially, it pairs really well with the DNā€™s midi.

The OT has now been boxed and hidden away for a few years until I get some time back.

I response to the advice, the IPAD has great apps for music and I will defo give some of the suggestions a go. Sunvox looks very interesting but seems a bit of head-scratcher - I will check it out though.

Again, thanks for the responses - they helped in making the right decision for me.

2 Likes