Introducing Syntakt

Love it !!!

Yes, but only as in ā€œstraight chordsā€: all notes must have the same length and velocity. Thatā€™s not really polyphonic in my book.

1 Like

they went for ā€œreachā€.

which is fair enough. but thanks for the shout.
iā€™d like to have heard your line ups approaches too.

2 Likes

Great to read that all tracks can be streamed individually and at once. Expected them to be mono. Because everything else is done in the mix. However, I am kind of glad somebody else bought the last item on the market at music store so that I have some more weeks to make a decision and free up money (mpc500s anyone? Or a snare-cured Volca beats? :wink:

1 Like

ā€œAutechre are on different planets nowā€

2 Likes

Well, it is anyway and there are plenty of channels for complex microadjusted everything. If you fancy long piano pieces you would send the notes via midi anyway from your Roland or Yamaha 88 DP. I am so happy that Elektron implemented proper step recording into DT and DN. (Hope ST has that, too). Itā€˜s so much easier to input sheet music and all.

I believe a good mix of demo types is good.

Reach 80%
Alternative 10 %
Local 10%

:wink:

@license I guess no mailing address
I was being factitious natch

1 Like

I think the ST is so great, the more videoā€™s I watch and the more content I read, the more I want to just fire up the OT and go town. Thanks Elektron for stoking my inspiration. All the demoā€™s and people hyped out of their minds, should write a song about it.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s something between block chords and fancy long piano pieces. I just donā€™t see a reason to restrict the MIDI machines for use with external instruments this way (other than editing might be more complicated/restricted.)

@AdamJay You said in your livestream yesterday that the Chord machine had a near-saw at about sweep 84. I put my Eurorack scope on my Model:Cycles (tricky because I canā€™t get below Unison 2) and it looks saw-like there. Thereā€™s another one at about sweep 102 but with some higher overtones. Could be evidence that the wavetable is the same in the two devices. I donā€™t think Iā€™d realized before how much of a difference one tick can make in that parameter. Iā€™ll make time to explore the space carefully.

3 Likes

My exakt journey. The initial one minute introduction video made me drool as I was listening to it with headphones. That pattern is dope! Then the 7 minute presentation from Elektron made me realize it was drums first, synth second, which makes it a bit less to-die-for to me. But it still felt pretty interesting. And then I saw Bo Beatsā€™ video and it started to feel like an overpriced Model:Cycles.

I still have high hopes for the melodic synth engines but so far I havenā€™t heard much to convince me that this would widen my sonic palette (currently owning an Hydrasynth and a Minilogue XD). For whatā€™s basically left, a drum synthesizer and the amazing Elektron sequencer, Iā€™m not convinced this is an instant buy for me. Thereā€™s a part of me that still wants an Elektron box in my life, but between this and the Digitone, the latter seems much more reasonable which at around half the price and offering seriously beautiful FM synthesis that go way beyond cymbals and claps.

4 Likes

I donā€™t have insight into their unit economics, but Iā€™d guess that the Syntakt costs less than 250 to manufacture (COGS, obviously sans software investments). So the marketing cost is more like 2.5K euro.

1 Like

Question for anyone who has the syntakt already ā€¦ my understanding is the SY BITS machine has 2 oscillators, is it possible to manually tune them (like on the A4 for example) to create chords without using additional voices?

From reading the manual, Iā€™m thinking itā€™s not possible, but I thought Iā€™d ask in case Iā€™ve got that wrong. It seems to me that detune is available, but not to specific semitones, is that accurate?

2 Likes

Complexity of code and UI maybe? :slight_smile:

This is sound advice (pun intended). If they donā€™t sound great to your ears, thatā€™s already a deal-breaker. If they sound good, you move to the next question: does the workflow look intuitive/fun? If yes, does this fill a (real) need you currently have that no device you currently own can do (this is probably the hardest GAS question)? If yes on all three, itā€™s probably worth it.

Wait a cpl of days, thatā€™s the first thing Iā€™m going to explore! Audio rate modulation

2 Likes

So no polyphony for $1,5k is all good?
Speaking of Rytm of course

1 Like

This was the reason I stopped using Overbridge completely. I relied on pad automation quite heavily in my DT patterns and it felt silly having to meticulously reprogram those again once in the DAW. Given this limitation, I actually think it would be quicker just to record out tracks individually using the mains out.

1 Like

Letā€™s just hope they add an arp at least. It can be thought of as the monophonic version of a chord and it boggles my mind that they excluded it from this machine. I guess the same answer may apply: itā€™s drum focused. But it includes several melodic synth machines so to donā€™t think the ā€œfocusā€ argument makes a lot of sense. Just add the arp and they would have sold this on me.

Nice tip!thanks!

1 Like