Introducing Syntakt

Apologies, lack of knowledge on my half. Yes it’s a poly meter I’m aiming for. I want a sequence of 5 steps to loop alongside a regular four on the floor pattern.

I’ve managed it before on my circuit rhythm but I’ve never had this before where the 1st step is being triggered as both the 16th and 1st step

1 Like

No worries, those things get mixed up all the time.
If I understood you correctly, then what you want to do is possible. Set the 4 on the floor track to 16 steps (or any multiple of 16). Set the other track to 5 steps (or any multiple of 5).
Increase the master pattern length to 80 (=16*5) or any multiple of that number. This should keep both tracks running along side each other, without any premature resets to the first step.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to help. Much appreciated!

1 Like

If you don’t want to do the maths, for instance if you add a 19 length on top of that for eg hats, just set the master length to infinite and pattern change to eg 64.

1 Like

But the math is so much fun… and then one is ready for Euclidean rhythms when they get added in a firmware update…

2 Likes

Trying to sort the best way to route my tracks on this thing. I’m multitracking 1-12 in Ableton, as per the usual Overbridge method, and tracks 13 and 14 are “FX Track” and “Delay/Reverb” respectively. However whenever I send one of my tracks to AFX it sounds kind of doubled and Flanged due to it being duplicated in Ableton. Not the result I want. Drive amount is set to about 40. Do you essentially have to choose either dry or wet to not get this effect or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Also sending my synth to the AFX track through the external inputs with the level set to about 80 in my mixer. That sounds groovy.

Do you have the MIDI Track muted?

Are you referring to the Ableton track containing the OB plugin? Yeah I have that disarmed.

Yes.

Disarmed is not the same as muted. You can also put the Volume at 0.

1 Like

This is my ideal setup as well. Just need the Heat. In the meantime I’m getting great results routing the DN through the Analog Drive on the ST.

2 Likes

Which machines on the Syntakt would y’all say are the most flexible?

My first Elektron box was a Machinedrum, and the thing I loved about it was how many wild sounds I could pull out of it, regardless of the sound engine. However the Syntakt machines feel a bit more static, with each sound never traveling far from its starting point. I’m sure I’ll learn to edit things better with time, but curious to hear opinions on which machines lend themselves best to proper sound design.

1 Like

I’m currently trying every single machine as an oscillator (with amp env to ADSR or AHD with note hold). There are some weird sounds there.
Don’t hesitate to change the tune parameter, too. And to make use of both LFOs.

Much versatile machine may be SY TONE, unsurprisingly.
But it’s interesting to try to push each machine outside the usual perimeter.

CTRL-AL is a good path to get off the beaten tracks.
You can also seek to create different noise flavors from each machines.

Don’t forget filters are a good playground as well. Starting with AFX one, that can be used as a 13th track, or the FX that have also their own track.

9 Likes

Analog Rytm sound presets are compatible with Syntakt ?

Damn if he didn’t do a fine job selling this thing, the Syntakt is a very good instrument.

9 Likes

Last weekend I had some time to spend with the Syntakt.
It’s again a very fun to use box.
It’s inspiring to use as a standalone. I like it way more than the MC.
Of course it’s a bit apples vs oranges.

I like the workflow on the DIGI so much more and now with the FX track it’s and combi of analog and digital machines. I hope they come up with more digital machines than just the FM Synthesis based machines. I hope they will introduce some of machines coming from the MD / MM or at least based on some of those.

Besides that it’s fun to use as a standalone, I very much are looking forward to couple it with the DN or DT. I have a couple of week off ahead, so more time to play.
My new Live Set Up ; OT + DT + ST - but so much to do before that will happen.
Stuff to sample, loops to be recorded, got lots of ideas, feels like my head can explode anytime (in a positive way) Beginning of June I will start at a new job. Nothing music related, but it’s fresh new start. Which I am expecting will give me more 'headroom"

Syntakt will surely play a big part in this all. Together with the DT = DRUM/PERCUSSION set up
OT = all the other stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

this guy has interesting reviews. totally forgot about him…

4 Likes

So, my 30 day return period is ending this week and the syntakt will have to go back.
It’s a great instrument, but aside from one or two patterns, I don’t really like the music I’ve been creating with it. This is just a heads up for any germans that are looking for a cheaper B-stock unit to become available on thomann. Keep your eyes peeled, I’m sending it back tomorrow.

4 Likes

Ha, metoo, same here - overhyped, underwhelming, overpriced, underperforming

1 Like

I don’t agree with you at all. It’s a nice instrument and offers a lot for the price, I think. It just doesn’t suit the style of music I wanted to make. It was my first impulse purchase and only the third instrument I sent back within the return period (the other two being the Medusa and the jamstik midi guitar, which I both did not like at all). I just didn’t gel with the ST the way I thought I would, is all.

4 Likes

Thanks for the headsup. Will be looking for it. Great machine.

1 Like