Introducing Syntakt

I’ll say it again, as others have. I just need to get it off my chest. If you don’t understand, I fear you never will:

No song mode, not even ‘pattern save’ ?!?!

This would be SO easy to implement. You’re saving information in a matter of bytes, probably not even kilobytes (no real way around this. Tried using program change, but can be finicky, and last time I had to use a midi merge box). Doesn’t always play well in my experience.

Some of us LOVE the simplicity of the digi boxes. We don’t want all the depth of the ‘flagships’. We DO perform on them, and we DO enjoy the ‘it’s-an-instrument’ factor. But for the love of god Elektron… please!

That said, I’ll probably still buy a Syntakt (eventually - 2nd hand), and carry on writing down my pattern chains in a notebook next to my gear setup :frowning:

4 Likes

How about triggering ST pattern by MIDI program change from the OT? Have you tested that?

If so, do you still have to put the PC message before the end of the current pattern?

It’s mentioned in one of the video that you’ll get each independent channel when connected via USB, so you can do multi-track recordings.

1 Like

Feels like they want you to pair the Syntakt with something else, otherwise that feature would be there indeed. Personally I’d pair it with a Octatrack, because that’s what I pair everything with and opens up so many possibilities.

But (brainstorming here, I haven’t received my Syntakt yet so don’t know if this actually works), if you can change patterns via MIDI, you could connected MIDI out in the Syntakt to MIDI in, and use one MIDI track to change the pattern via the last note in that track, essentially having a manual song mode. Hacky at best, won’t work at worst, and honestly, Elektron should add a proper song mode.

2 Likes

Maybe is too early but…who has some nice samples from Syntakt to share?

Not samples specifically, but here is a thread with “Syntakt only music”: Syntakt only music

No all the separate tracks are over OB

2 Likes

yes @vblr - it’s hacky-tacky, and sometimes there are midi delays so you have to experiment where to put the programme change.

I wouldn’t mind an OT (again), but frankly, I really did not get on with the FX quality (and even overall sound), compared to the DT. The DT just makes everything sound superb. My ideal setup is DT/DN/ST with song mode (all controlled via DT). I’m a minimalist DAW less person, so that’s as far as I would go. I do have other gear, but it’s gathering dust and I really should sell it.

Thanks!

Sorry, not yet. My 2 hands are my song mode. :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

If I could :heartpulse: this video 64 (or more) times, I would! So amazing!

2 Likes

:100:

Deepest Elektron paired with the Syntakt = 20 tracks of depth only matched by the Mariana Trench

4 Likes

I’m guessing I won’t really need my Norand Mono now, judging by the sounds ST can achieve. I like to keep setups as minimal as possible.

tho I’m curious what OS 2.0 has in store my mono might be up for sale soon if anyone’s lookin for one at a reduced price.

1 Like

do you use slides a lot? If so, maybe hold off.

But yea, three tracks of DVCO is pretty incredible in this small package. LFO can help approximate slide, so it’s a good thing there are two per synth track.

It’s a good thing digital BD Modern is so punchy and capable of so much variety, as it really opens the analog tracks up for use with non-BD sounds.

2 Likes

Thank you. I mentioned previously that I am completely unconcerned by song mode or lack thereof. I have a song mode in my brain. I never once played a guitar or bass that came with a song mode yet still I made songs. Going by some of the posts you see in here one might think such a claim must be pure science fiction.

7 Likes

I missed the part of your post where you said you’d use the Syntakt only in the studio, and go with the dual OT setup for live playing, and presumably playing Syntakt audio stems.

I don’t poo-poo anyone who needs song mode or wishes to approximate its functionality via program change from other instruments.
We all have our own needs. Perhaps some other testers can chime in with @GovernorSilver about those desired features and interaction between boxes.

My testing has been mostly that of “find oddness, try to break it, but do so while making my own music”

So i should clarify. for Live I will add the Syntakt to the dual OT setup.
so Live is 2x OT MK1, ST, AHMK1, MF Twister, Eventide Blackhole pedal.

5 Likes

Ah cool

Yip

Well what are the filter designs based on? We don’t seem to get any info on what they actually are…