Introducing Syntakt

I am looking forward to using my MD mk2 next to the Syntakt but there is a lot more going on with filters and a effects on Syntakt for sure, the MD is great and not as advanced as newer Elektron boxes in some regards, but it does have song mode :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

yes as Adam says, just no retrigs though

3 Likes

Damn, wasn’t sure if this was the case for all track or just the analog ones. This is really great, would love to have something like that on the Digitakt.

Although I don’t think I’ll cave for Syntakt, I was pretty pleased with the result (specially since my expectations were WAY low - I thought it was going to be a VST or something really disappointing).
Seems like an amazing entry into the Elektron world, probably their best rythm+melodic integration, and the whole Machine workflow opens a lot of interesting and flexible possibilities imho.

Also seems like a FUN machine to improvise with - creating ideas on the spot very quickly, maybe jamming with friends… kind of an alternate workflow from, say, DT+DN - where you would probably have to dive a bit deeper.

2 Likes

One other thing I want to add for folks: I feel like I am still only skimming the surface of Syntakt.

I’ve filled up a bank of patterns, made a couple dozen sounds from scratch, and overall I am pretty happy with the Syntakt.
The sound locks and extra track count helps me get over my frustrations with the other Digi boxes not having kits. This was a frustration that I think the Model Series dealt with well by giving us near knob-per-function. I can comfortably work from a single pattern to make a tune.

But still there is a load to explore. Dual LFOs on all these synth machines. Interesting envelope shapes, so many filter modes (the EQ style ones on the analog tracks are bananas once you modulate them). Velocity mod to multiple destinations.

This kind of depth and promise of worlds to explore for years to come, for me is what makes the Syntakt special. Maybe not special in the Elektron product line, but special in the groovebox space.

17 Likes

I’m close but not quite at 100% confidence to be quite so definitive just yet, other than the diagram, which doesn’t show what might theoretically have happened before … had you picked up any ‘safe’ tidbits I missed from during testing … it’s just that it appears ungained, yet loud and a loud noisefloor if the dry signal can only be attenuated (assuming no fixed analog gain)

genuinely just idle curiousity, not doubting, just wondering if there’s any insider or further logical confirmation to get me from 99% to 100% - you’re probably right, it does make some sense, but I’m just a little 1% surprised a volca can be almost deafening (and very noisy) through it (albeit that there are a dozen tracks to gain stage down relative to it)

I suppose if somebody had a 500khz sine wave generator and a nifty meter they could check the dry output was untouched

Don’t know if anyone else picked up on this, but I was lazily browsing the speculation thread before whilst pretending to work and came across this stunning precognition from @Sleepyhead.

10 Likes

£799 is excluding VAT

Edit: looks like it has been updated since yesterday, price now includes VAT. Good pric

haha, Holy sh1t :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yea! Roland TM-2 would work well here. or small 4MS pod with some drums and midi to CV. Soundforce samples and s-909 + a mixer come to mind.
Or Squarp Rample.

Input into Syntakt’s external input and route to analog FX block. Bam.

2 Likes

It is possible that the input volume controls are analog and a gain stage.

Not a bad guess I still think the elektron performance mixer could see the light of day eventually. If the octatrack 3 doesn’t beat it there

3 Likes

Hehehehe

I don’t know that I’m sure how attenuation/other is delivered and my brain is somewhat fried … just hoping for a helping hand to straighten my thoughts about this

It doesn’t make sense to compare used prices of one product to the brand new price of another product. Some people prefer to buy new because they would like a warranty, while others prefer to try and find a deal and roll the dice on a used unit. Comparing new units, there is a $700 difference between the two units.

Most Used RYTM MkII in the US sell for $1250-$1400 on Reverb. Your argument about the price only works for this very moment, as the Syntakt is just hitting the street and there are no used ones available yet. But soon enough we will be seeing used ones pop up on Reverb, for what I am guessing will probably be around $800 - $850, which would probably be a difference of around $500 between the two used units. Still a pretty significant difference.

And they are two very different products. While they share similarities of some analog drum machines, the RYTM does not have the digital machines of the Syntakt, and the Syntakt does not have sampling of the RYTM. Beyond that there are big differences in, like you said, kits, or number of LFO’s, etc. Each box offers features the other one doesn’t.

Syntakt is really not that limited. Some of the features may be limited to how you or someone else would like a machine’s architecture to work, but I have never had an issue with the Digi boxes not having things like song mode or kits. I just don’t see one of them replacing the other. They both have a place in someone’s studio, depending on what someone is looking for in a box.

Was it really just a wild guess which happens to be exactly right or…. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

yeah its beyond me why the Rytm HiHats sounds so shitty, especially with the fact that one of the most beautiful HiHats i ever heard on an Electronic Instrument came from an A4 !

Hello, weekend.

24 Likes

same here. everyone had different needs in a box. I prefer the digi no kit format, personally. as an example.

2 Likes

omg :partying_face:

1 Like

Now who’s gonna be the first to quote me on all the shit I said yesterday?

2 Likes