Introducing Syntakt

The Octatrack the one Elektron device that has no peers.

1 Like

Already have owned one…
it’s only 8 tracks and has no synth engines?

1 Like

True, but a great sampling engine, songmode and extra FX. Potentially 8 if you route via neighbourtracks. OT and DT is a good combo already, but OT and ST seems even better due to less overlap!

No synth engines. But a world of synth samples at your fingertips

1 Like

I’m keeping things minimal for studio gear at moment. Just able to do those couple things would have made me sell up and buy the syntakt asap…

Still looks great though may end up getting one anyhow

1 Like

Since product development is all about priorities, one useful exercise when you’re suggesting adding something to a product, is imagining what could be removed, that would have similar scope.

So if you were the product designer of the Syntakt, what feature of similar size would you remove in order to gain the sample engine? Or what would you trade song mode for?

Sometimes that exercise helps you realize that it’s really hard to fit everything in one box, and still have the same target audience. In this case, it seems they are focusing on three things: drums, synths and jam performances. It’s really hard to take one feature from those three focuses in order to add something that would add benefit in another area.

5 Likes

Decided to get one. I love working on one machine lately, I did few tracks with the AR only and I think the ST will be great. Now I just need to find one in stock !

1 Like

Well overbridge and a DAW is another solution!

1 Like

This message prolly gets lost in the stream of praises , future update demands and complaints …but i just wanna ad that i think they did a great job … The Digitakt always was my favorite of all Elektron boxes and i feel they’ll follow up on that with the Syntakt . Weither or not it’ll be a keeper , time will tell , but based on the manual , youtube clips and my own experiences with the DT i do think they made a “your whish is our command” device . So much stuff in there that people were asking for on this forum . Will buy this when available again , and i hope i’ll have as much fun with it as i did with the DT the last couple of years . Thx Elektron for listening to us !!! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

DT I’ve always used as a self contained groove box. When Digitone was released I first started to use it as an extra layer for DT grooves. After some time it grew into DT and DN working as one unit most of the time but I do still create grooves mainly with one of the two and then maybe add a few layers with the other. So they don’t really have a specific task. DT actually does a lot of melodic / inharmonic stuff as well. Sometimes the kick comes from digitone (or a layer), or hihats etc.

ST will be used as a self contained groove box. So you could think of them as decks in a way
DT+DN is a deck and ST is a deck. Between its 12 tracks and FX block etc. It’s more than enough for me to create what I want from it.
The octa is mainly used as the crazy live loop mangler it is and sometimes for extra percussive layers. Mostly for long sets I’ll start using the looper side more. For shorter sets it mainly adds rhythms. I do have grooves created in it as well with some longer phrases recorded with synths but somehow I keep going back to the digi boxes for groove creation.

It’s still evolving :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Lovely little thing. Bring on the music!

1 Like

Oooh, you can feedback the delay an reverbthrough the drive and filter into itself, wonderful!

Mine arrived today. This thing is incredible. Maybe my new favorite the bunch. The sound is so lush and characterful. The versatility and track count really elevate this box, I think I can play shows with nothing but this and a small modular for textures/sfx.

9 Likes

Your track in Syntakt standalone thread is great. Especially thinking after just few hours of having the unit at home…

1 Like

Thanks! I’m a looong time elektronaut, got my MD mk1 in 2003, so the learning curve on their boxes is pretty nonexistent for me. This box in particular is really giving me MnM/MD vibes in terms of immediacy

9 Likes

you know who’d sell them a gazillion boxes for ambient - R beny. that’s the demo we need.

Literally every video Austin ever does is just incredible, on every synth…

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll sell all my gear now after watching him using the Electribe…

1 Like

Thank you. There’s more - though no idea when. Not for awhile, probably, now that I’ve sort of cracked the code on how to get something done on this one :slight_smile:

I just wondering if the 4 analog tracks are the same as on the Rytm Mk1 / Mk2 or if its kind of tweeked?

And I just wondering, why a 12 track drum maschine has only a master stereo out :frowning and how one can do multitracking without using overbridge

1 Like

It’s been answered dozens of times now, but, in a nutshell : it’s pretty much the same.

• Dual VCO’s tracking is better
  • Parameters can be adjusted more finely
  • There are some differences according to the engineers, but in the end they sound quite identical.
2 Likes