Introducing Syntakt

An idea for the chord machine: Is it possible to set up one of the modulators to control the chord/voicing? This way you would have 4 “favorite chords” right at your fingertips without having to dial them in each time.

7 Likes

Haven’t tried it but most likely, given that you can just about modulate almost anything in here.

1 Like

Head bobbers.

2 Likes

@circuitghost

Thanks for all the feedback.

1 Like

Yeah. Not many heads bobbing to my music, I can tell you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! Only thing I predicted was the red (TUNA) colour scheme. Pretty proud of that though.

1 Like

My idea was to have 6 digital + 2 analogue voices. I don’t think that Elektron is trying to make devices that no one will complain about. I don’t think anyone does really. Elektron works with concepts and I love their concepts: highly intelligent, clear and ready for use, inspiring even! The deeper you go the more you get out of it. And my opinion is that they should have stayed in the 600-700€ price range. I think that it’s a far stronger concept than an all-out machine that does everything that ends up doing nothing because you don’t know where to start (see Waldorf).

Why didnt they go for 12 Analogue tracks instead of 4.Nobody really wants digital. Or do they?

1 Like

Yes, I guess preferences can differ a lot, but I think your argument is valid in exactly the other way around. You have to start somewhere, whether you’ve got 4, 8, or 12 tracks at your disposal. I would argue that the machine concept of the ST offer much more straight forward starting points in comparison to the DT (where you have to choose a sample to start with) or the DN (where you basically start of with a sine wave).

1 Like

See, I am sooo happy, that they decided to go 12 instead of 8 voices. Especially 4 analog-voices, while I am not quite sure about track 12 (mine is arriving on Monday). It’s not that Digi-Devices are fixed to 8 tracks. DN has 4 + 4 midi, DT has 8 + 8 Midi, ST has 12 without explicit MIDI Tracks. Having to fit in that much analoge circuits onto the board makes it clear, why the price is higher than on the other machines. Reducing the digital tracks would not affect the price, reducing 2 analog tracks might a little, but it’s not the number that makes the price. The Analoge FX Track alone with integrating it is a little like putting an extra Analog Heat into the Device.
but I am coming from a different spot. I sold m ARmk2 because I missed having melody stuff on the device. making Chord Stabs was always sampling external gear, than working with it (loving the filter on it!). but I missed the analoge kicks it provided and the raw sound of the double VCA. getting the Syntakt for 2/3 of the ARmk2 price but getting that melodic possibilities on top, is a very big thing for me.

7 Likes

Your insight here is super valuable.

4 Likes

I’m enjoying reading all the perspectives here. I personally think that the perceived value is so important.

I bought a brand new AR MK2 in early 2021 and almost immediately sent it back. I was disappointed with the Analog engines (out of the box, I didn’t give it much time) and the £1300 price just made me panic. I’ve used software for years, spending £100 here or there. North of a grand felt wrong.

Fast forward a year and I’ve been stuck working at home as a software developer staring at the screen all day. I like my job but I need to get away from the screen. I saw a cheap AR MK1 on eBay and just decide to take a punt on it.

I really like it. It’s a better size and format and even used as a sort of DT+ it’s well worth what I paid for it, less than half a new MK2.

I think if people buy a machine and perceive that they get the value they paid then they’re happy. If people buy a ST (and I’m thinking I probably will myself) to use a totally self-contained groovebox and it doesn’t need the computer or any samples at all then I think that will offer a lot of value to a lot of people.

I have to say - I’m still spending time curating samples which is something I have a love/hate relationship with although I love the AR itself. If I buy an ST and I don’t feel the need for the computer at all, the AR might become less essential.

1 Like

As someone who struggles with making decent drums (and thus tend to put little effort into them on my DT) once I saw this unit I was gaggin for it. Plus the only synth gear I have is my DT and DN so playing around and listening to analogue stuff for first time was the deal closer without having to learn new workflows.

But if I’m really honest I just wanted the 3 of them in row cos itll look cool on my desk. I’m scum.

1 Like

At the risk of sounding like a 'bot, I always enjoy your long, insightful posts. Thank you.

2 Likes

:heartpulse:

Exactly this. Seeing CG post on topics let’s me instantly know, that I get tons of insights, I might have nether thought about!

@circuitghost I would love to see a video a song of yours on the ST when you have one you are fine to share, just to see that workflow of you on the ST!

1 Like

Cenk(Dataline) said his favourite machine was the Analogue Rhythm out of them. I think i can see why he left.

Thank you, you are so kind.

I’m not a video guy, but I will post tracks eventually.

1 Like

I know and I totally understand that it might never happen. I just like to see, how people reach their musical idea on a device. Even more when you know, that some people get their own sound out of every device :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds like you can’t. Modifier destinations include only parameters that are common to all machines.

1 Like