Introducing Song Mode on Digitakt, Syntakt, Digitone and Digitone Keys

Thank you for your sacrifice, it was worth it for the greater good

2 Likes

I wish there were more out there, but this dude’s is pretty damn good.

And this one is well worth sitting through, he crams quite a lot into one “song”.

1 Like

I’m not at liberty to post any of mine as multiple labels are throwing mega deals at me now.

That said, I wish I could go back to the days before song mode. The corporate tyrants just beat you down and squash all creativity. I long for the days of looping one pattern endlessly with no care.

13 Likes

Nothing banging but I did record a chilled out dub thing on the digitone (had only had the Digitone for 2 days so be gentle). No live tweaking, I just let the song play out.

5 Likes

I was interested to see if this could actually fit into the song mode screen so did a mockup.
If one of the characters in the LABEL column is removed (from 6 to 5 characters) and the spacing is 1px less per column, it could fit quite nicely and not look too cramped (extra Offset column is to left of Mutes)…

11 Likes

First track using song mode - a remix for Ksylen. As usual, I’ve used only the vocals of the original.
The majority of the sounds comes from the Digitone, the rest (including the vocals) from the Digitakt :wink:

7 Likes

Gnarly!!! :boom::boom::boom:

1 Like

have the same issue. which is a bummer. cause with the bug page + rec you loose the only one time fill.

Would be awesome if you could send a custom midi pattern change message per row.
That way my midi slaved A4 for example could play a different pattern when my DT is playing the second ‘verse’ row of pattern A01 in it’s song mode, I could configure in song mode in DT for it to send a pattern change message so the A4 plays D1 or whatever.
Currently I guess only way to do this is to run concurent song modes on the A4 and DT?

Is it safe to update my Digitone to OS 140A or is it full of bugs? Have an old OS version that works well.

Yes, or sync all A4 patterns to DT, eventually copy paste repeated A4 patterns.
Or the opposite with A4 song mode…

Other possibility : send a program change to A4 with a DT midi track, on a specific transition pattern.

Oh so song mode = lower self esteem as it’s one less thing for people to blame for not being as productive as they want? Take away song mode and give me back my slightly more elevated feeling of self worth!

2 Likes

This works, but unfortunate to have a blank pattern on one device or another just to sync them.
Guess it’s an opportunity to be creative with the potentially blank patterns…

Silence or fading FXs is a great transition.

1 Like

Here’s my first Song Mode track. Took me awhile to get the right implementation working across the Syntakt and Digitone.

In the end I decided to have the Syntakt run the Song and send pattern changes via midi to the Digitone that has a sequenced match for each pattern on the Syntakt.

Added saturation and compression with a Boum, which I’m in love with.

1 Like
  • is there a quick way to skip to the current row when returning to the song mode edit scene from another screen? Currently it shows row 1 if you go to another screen then back again. I want it to default to showing the current row, eg row 123 or be able to use a key command to jump to the current row.

• changing the pattern on a row resets the mute and pattern length parameters you may have set on a row. I would like to be able to change the pattern but maintain these settings.

1 Like

That video only demonstrates sending global mutes via midi. Has anyone figured out how to send pattern mutes?

Song mode feature reqs:

Trigger a row from any column with FUNC+YES
Having to constantly move to the leftmost column to play that row quickly becomes tedious.

FUNC + [<] / [>] for jumping to leftmost / rightmost columns

4 Likes

I’m still confused as to why we can’t use global mutes in song mode. I’m using the DT to control my M:C - just to mute tracks, I program all my trigs, preset and sound locks on my M:C.
But in doing so I can’t automate mutes with song mode !
I’d need to program the trigs in my DT but then I’d lose preset, sound locks and that immediacy that I like in playing M:C live !

We also can’t send pattern mutes via MIDI. That would be a workaround but it isn’t.