Introducing Octatrack MKII

I get so much unrelated and goofy video suggestions that I’ve grown to ignore em all, just like ads they barely register anymore. I just hit the search like an ole gdoff-my-lawn person is supposed to!

Great sample fodder for the OT :pray:t2:

They usually do guitar pedals!

I received my Octatrack from Sweetwater yesterday with a damaged card reader. I can only work in demo mode. Huge letdown - I was so excited. They’ve promised to send me a replacement by the 21st.

In the meantime, I’m having a very hard time finding tutorial videos on the MK2. I know this has already been discussed above.

I have never owned an Octatrack before (I have Analog Keys, Digitakt, Analog Heat). Is it worth my time to go through an in-depth MK1 tutorial to get me somewhat up to speed on the Octatrack? Or are they that much different that I should wait until more MK2 videos are released…?

Any help/opinions here would be greatly appreciated.

jD

Other than the key combos that you have shortcut keys for now, it will be the same workflow wise.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Just watch mk1 videos, the machines are identical other than those two shortcut keys.

2 Likes

and the mk2 screen is much smaller

Unfortunately, it actually is a bad reader. I got in there with a flashlight and three of the pins in the card reader are damaged - two are crooked and one is smashed all the way against the rear panel. I was very surprised.

Sweetwater is replacing the whole unit, thankfully. I won’t have it until next Friday or Saturday, which is a bummer, but I’m keeping the one with the damaged reader and using it to learn the machine as best I can in demo mode.

Thanks for your help!!

1 Like

Awesome! That’s what I’ll do. I have a subscription to MacProVideo, and I like Thavius Beck, who seems to do all MPV’s Elektron vids. I’ll start there.

Thank you!

Yes, I can’t wait. Been going through the manual today and it’s definitely much more involved than the Digitakt. Seems and feels like an amazing machine. So many artists I admire swear by their Octatrack. Just need to get the new one in here so I can start making my own projects and bring in my own samples. Thanks for your help!!

1 Like

Just received mine. All buttons where they are supposed to be. What a foolish purchase, what a gorgeous machine.

7 Likes

Jealous. Mine isn’t arriving until tomorrow which means:

1. It’ll lie largely unused for most of the working week as Im very busy with work just now :frowning:
    and 2. The missus will be the one who will have to sign for it so can’t even hide this purchase from her :roll_eyes: Maybe I can tell her I bought a new pair of shoes. Box is similar size… :rofl:
1 Like

Forward it to my address, I’ll inspect it thoroughly for you and send it back next week… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just got mine last Thursday,a lot smaller than I expected,ordered the A4 last Friday so should get that on Thursday as well,now I’ve just gotta pay for em and stop falling asleep in the evening😳

That’s my problem too. Soon as I crack the manual (at night) I’m nodding off. Gonna be a slow process learning this thing. Now I hear the A4 is shipping too? I was hoping to have some time with the OT before that arrived. It’s going to be sitting in the box for a bit I think. I hope the AR is a couple months out.

Well Nov ,supposedly by elektron,I’ve got a rytm on order but the shop I’ve ordered it from haven’t got stock of the octatrack yet,so I’m gonna cancel.
Could do with a month off work and put the wife and kids in the shed😬
Yeh it’s my first elektron instrument,I’m getting to grips with just how deep they are compared to the toraiz.As everyone seems to be saying ,there’s a shortage of mk2 vids ,come on cuckoo ,and elektron,

Anyone using a DT and OT together it is there too much overlap? I’m loving my DT so much that I’m now eying this. Lol.

Also, sorry for not doing my homework, but does the OT have mute groups? I’m really missing that on the DT when playing my samples real time.

@phaelam , Sampling on OT MKII is mostly the same as the MK1.
Though the added REC3 button makes using pickup machines less of a dive.
Also Audio Editor/SliceGrid dedicated button speeds things up when it comes to what to do with your recorded phrase. Overall the new buttons make the machine more intuitive than the MKI.

But the act of recording is effectively unchanged.

I don’t find it that cumbersome compared to DT. It’s a couple extra button clicks (setup), but far more powerful. And file management after the fact is much simpler on OT.

@DimensionsTomorrow - re: OTMKII / DT Overlap… well, in some ways, sure. They’re both samplers with 8 audio tracks and 8 MIDI tracks.
The only thing the DT can do that OT can’t is bring a new flavor of reverb, and give you FX tails post mute (since they are send FX, though OT has workarounds, assign crossfader to Amp VOL, for instance).
Where as MOST of OT’s capabilities and features are impossible on DT.

No Mute Groups per se, but you can assign a scene to bring down volume on various tracks as a group.

The DT + OT pair would be most ideal if one wants to free up OT for loops, time stretch, looping/pickup, wild FX chains, scenes. Allowing DT to focus on being a vicious beatbox and nothing more.

7 Likes

One thing I can’t get. If there’s a quick reload a part on OT, why isn’t still there a key combo for quick save a part even on MKII yet? :slight_smile:

3 Likes