Introducing Octatrack MKII

If I was in your situation: I’d take the ot to an audiophile mod place and get them to pimp it out with a couple of different dacs, inputs and maybe some tubes.
It wouldn’t cost much to do if you find the an old standup dude.
Or maybe get together with some fellow ot heads, have a workshop day. Get a local modular head in to help out.
Fuck, if you where here, I’d get my mate to do it all for you.
Chin up mate. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Great track, dig the visuals too

Elektron painting their Octatracks grey and charging £300 more for it doesn’t really change how I feel about mine, aside from now I know I’m definitely not selling it. It’s everything I need and more. It looks better black too…

9 Likes

:heart_eyes: :elot:

There isn’t really much progress or forward thinking in music hardware these days. So many retro synths and so on - but to release a MKII version of the OT with no meaningful updates seems really strange. I just don’t understand the logic. Lots of OT’s on the second-hand market being sold for 800 euros that have exactly the same functionality as the ‘new’ one being sold for 600 euros more. It’s one of the strangest releases of hardware I can remember. Weird.

1 Like

OT sales are probably still going strong and maybe DT serves as a “gateway drug”. Having a UI similar to the DTs might make the OT more tempting for DT owners new to the Elektron world.

4 Likes

Logic leans toward the actual manufacturing process.
They have a new look for digitakt. If they switch same components to other machines they can drive the cost down in general.
Now that doesn’t necessarily mean everything will be cheaper as the new components might be (and apparently are) of better quality.
It also means that most likely MK1 are still selling well (i’m the example here. Just bought brand new A4 and OT in the last two weeks)

5 Likes

When i work with Parts i always save them.
I prepare the machines, samples and fx settings and scenes.
Then i have the option to copy the Part to another Part or to save the Part. If you have saved a Part you have to keep an eye on your changes to not accidentally erase your work especially while you rock the OT.
I learned it the hard way :blush:

but the option to reload the active part to its last saved state is godly from a performance POV. prepare your part, save it and then you can totally change the sound, efx, scenes - hit FUNC+CUE :zap:back to last saved state

solid gold :thup:

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out! It’s not only 3 LFOs for each of the 8 audio tracks, it’s another 3 LFOs for each Midi track. So it’s a total of 48 LFOs that can be routed to nearly everything. Sometimes I have the feeling some people don’t know their machines

Let’s not forget plockable arps ! Even A4 can’t do this.
It’s insane on drums :smiley:

5 Likes

I have a slight feeling that i’m being scammed. The OT MKII and Digitakt are nice and I would love to buy them but it’s nothing newer than the previous machines. I have enough Elektrons to be making music with. Thanks but no thanks.

1 Like

So you can save your money for the next big thing without feeling torn apart or looking you gear as disposable obsolete boxes.
Quite good situation in fact :smiley:

3 Likes

Scam
a dishonest scheme; a fraud.
synonyms: fraud, swindle, fraudulent scheme, racket, trick; More

Are you forced to buy something? It’s a matter of choice not obligation.
:expressionless:

3 Likes

Yes, you’re right. Hope not. :upside_down:

Yes, I always feel forced to buy something if it’s from Elektron. :money_mouth:

2 Likes

Where’s the scam?

A scam is defined by being misled, people may feel they are buying a new and significantly improved instrument - as they should assume consider the £300 price hike. In reality - the parts are the only difference between the boxes and those probably amount to well under £50 worth of cost.
Personally I have no problem with them updating the box and improving parts - that’s great, but the large increase in price is just daft. Very Apple, but judging from some comments here - they know their market.

1 Like

Maybe “marketing scheme” is the appropriate word.

Will the OT MKII come with the same sticky button issue my DT has? Vibe killa!!!

It has been repeatedly pointed out that OT MK II is a hardware overhaul running the same software as OT MK I.

1 Like