Introducing Octatrack MKII

Yeah I changed ‘bad’ to ‘scrimped’ :wink:

There’s a thread saying it’s like 15euro to buy the parts to Diy it (out of my comfort zone tho…). Which would be cheaper still if bought in bulk. Can’t see it being much more expensive 7 years ago? Plenty of other (cheaper) samplers had inputs back then too, don’t seem to hear about them in the same negative way you do with OT inputs?

Extra Ram would make a world of a difference because it could enable us to record 8 stereo stems right into the OT. It could help make up for the lack of OB or separate outs.

2 Likes

Talking of components though… What on earth are they thinking with keeping the crappy old screw in plastic jack sockets? I’ve got an A4 and RYTM here on my desk and the flush mount sockets on those are just so much nicer, especially for a box costing over £1000…

I hope the Mk2 does come with some upgrades, it’ll bring the Mk1 price down for those who don’t have one (i.e. me)… not so great for Mk1 owners though.

After 6½ years you’d sure hope for some upgrades other than a paint job and a few new buttons, eh?

4 Likes

You can have so much damn fun in your dreams…

2 Likes

:heat:

4 Likes

This kind of sums up what bugs me about it. You’re saying that they should add stuff but only stuff that doesn’t matter enough for you to have to have a mkii over a mki. But that the additions matter enough to make mki lose value. Ugh!

Whole thing becomes confusing very fast and I arrive back at ‘no one really gets much out of this except Elektron’. New buyers pay more for old gear in a new shell. Old users have their (reasonably expensive) gear lose value.

Significant updates to ram/outputs/os etc would at least have been a straight ‘well i had my fun, I’ll sell for whatever I can get and buy the new one’.

Guess I’m just being naive/unrealistic or something…

1 Like

I usually only buy second hand and go for previous gen machines once they are superseded and therefore become more affordable. Got my MPC1000 once the MPC Live was announced and snagged a great deal. I’d jump on an OT Mk1 in a heartbeat if it hit the £500 mark.

The greater the Mk2 is, the cheaper the Mk1 becomes on the second hand market.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m just saying I wish mkii was significantly upgraded, even if that meant my mki lost a lot more value. That way I’d have lost money but at least have a killer new box of having the option to buy.

Seems kinda lose/lose for current OT owners as things stand unless there are new OS things coming.

1 Like

are you going to demo’ing it at summer NAMM?
perhaps revealing more details… if there is more news :slight_smile: ?

or are we to assume, for now, there will essentially be no OS upgrade? (excluding those necessary to make the new hardware work)

Check “One shot trig” in OT manual. Existed long before AR was a thing :smile:
You already got your OT Fills, friend ! And I sure love this functionality.
You can also use the crossfader to mess with your pattern !

3 Likes

Dumb question. What does OG stand for?

1 Like

yep… i played a lot with one shot trigs on extremely long samples, so i could integrate a whole backing with 128 bars but freely choose a pattern in parallel… still the one shot trigs always make me crazy :-))))… is it on or off with function yes or no???.. did i set it in record mode or in normal sequencer mode… always confused me a little bit… :-))

but… i mean who cares :-))) will play the octatrack in the weekend paired with AR and MPC and prophet and modular amd pulse and and and… that will be damn fun :-))

1 Like

“old gear”. As in “mk1”.
:wink:

3 Likes

Could be a space issue, the flush jack’s probably take up more space inside. Maybe they could have made the space, maybe it was too difficult, who knows.

Is it not Hip-Hop parlance for Original (gangster) ?
Word!
:wink:

8 Likes

Right, OT UX can be confusing.

I spent a whole afternoon practicing, on this aspect only, in order to fully understand how it works.
Though months later I’m still not sure if there are two colors for Activated/Deactivated One Shot Autio trigs :smile:
But taking the time to sort this out has helped me a lot !

I believe the biggest thing I discovered in OT was being able to sample a loop once, with the perfect timing thanks to One shot Record trigs…

Nothing as easy to understand and memorize as Conditional Trigs, though. UX on this matter has been greatly improved.

A pity Record trigs (still ?) don’t exist on DT.
:smile:

1 Like

I’ve learnt something else from this thread - I always thought it was a contraction of ‘Original’.

You tell me man, I ain’t native English speaker.
“Old gear” always made sense to me, but I can learn, not proud, me.

Still, maybe I should add a definition there so that it becomes official :smile:

4 Likes