Introducing Octatrack MKII

For what it’s worth, Bax have the OT MkII on their site now too:

This one will of course have Conditionnal and other stuff, but they are still selling the MKI sqo they won’t tell youy to just wait 4 month…

1 Like

It’s how we roll in the 'hood … well, rural Buckinghamshire.
:facepunch:

2 Likes

Or it will never have trig conditions so DT + OT remains necessary combo if you want timestrech+slice+trig conditions… Guess that’s the smart move from a business POV…

1 Like

Dt has Trig Cond ?

Remember that the MDMKII had some little sequencer improvment…

I know where they could place trig conditions UI-wise. They could do this on microtiming settings window with use of FUNC + UP/DWN ARROWS for example. At least simple probability could be placed here.

2 Likes

Some people say you have to save Parts all the time. Maybe it’s true if you did it once.
And do you know what happens if you press CUE + FUNC ?
It let you adjust Master Cue Level with Level knob. :wink:
I did it accidentally. :content:

If all the important hardware of the OT really is unchanged in MkII, perhaps Elektron will sell “upgrade kits” or offer to upgrade MkI units for a fee?

Arranger

3 Likes

sorry if it’s already been said in the thread but can someone from elektron answer this.
are each of the 8 tracks still monophonic or will they be polyphonic (maybe 3 notes / sample playing at the same time)
it was the only reason I got rid of my mark 1

I’m not from Elektron, but there is no indication that the capabilities of the Mk 2 will be any different from those of the Mk 1.

4 Likes

Still monophonic but you can still fake it, use 3 tracks to play your sample polyphonically, then resample it into one track. Done.

3 Likes

yeah - that’s what thought - a little disappointing.

1 Like

The Digitakt may be the cheaper option for sequencing but the OT still has THE BEST midi sequencer of the lot.
Way more LFO’s and parameter locks available over midi.
People can crap on all they want about conditional trigs as lovely as they are they have yet to appear in a sequencing device that can do both Individual Step length and Track Tempo Division independently.
It is what makes the OT great at what it does - I have days i regret selling mine still.
I still don’t think / feel I could have composed this track using anything other than an OT…

For sequencing alone it is superb and as a one shot sampling drum machine (if used that way) it still runs rings around the Digitakt for depth and feature set.

21 Likes

Ah, yes.

If I was in your situation: I’d take the ot to an audiophile mod place and get them to pimp it out with a couple of different dacs, inputs and maybe some tubes.
It wouldn’t cost much to do if you find the an old standup dude.
Or maybe get together with some fellow ot heads, have a workshop day. Get a local modular head in to help out.
Fuck, if you where here, I’d get my mate to do it all for you.
Chin up mate. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Great track, dig the visuals too

Elektron painting their Octatracks grey and charging £300 more for it doesn’t really change how I feel about mine, aside from now I know I’m definitely not selling it. It’s everything I need and more. It looks better black too…

9 Likes

:heart_eyes: :elot:

There isn’t really much progress or forward thinking in music hardware these days. So many retro synths and so on - but to release a MKII version of the OT with no meaningful updates seems really strange. I just don’t understand the logic. Lots of OT’s on the second-hand market being sold for 800 euros that have exactly the same functionality as the ‘new’ one being sold for 600 euros more. It’s one of the strangest releases of hardware I can remember. Weird.

1 Like