Introducing Model:Samples

Yeah no inputs is an odd move. It has other stuff going for it that’ll tick enough boxes for some people, but random sampling/resampling on op1, 404, microsampler, and even iPad with little behringer interface, is where half the funs at with those portable options.

Mk2 I guess…

1 Like

Anyone that doesn’t know how to get audio from a Volca to a computer, and can’t figure it out via online, is gonna have an aneurism with most hardware and should probably buy a ukulele.

I think you maybe underestimate modern kids… The ones interested to buy hardware like this are growing up on shit like Andrew Huang’s YouTube channel the same way we used to watch Tom and Jerry. They probably know a ton more than I did when I first started learning things hands on…DT is approachable enough for beginners. Maybe too expensive though.

6 Likes

Its my opinion that they have throttled the functionality so it doesnt step on the toes of the digitakt too much. But this has made it so close but so far from being an incredible machine. With inputs and one slice track (like a korg es1) this would’ve been a next level instrument because for me the playability of this with microtiming and probability stuff is genuinely exciting

2 Likes

I haven’t used a GameBoy since… the early 2000s…

With my PS4 Pro, gaming PC, and RetroPie, the only way I’ll be playing a GameBoy is through emulation since it’s not fun to me anymore. This example holds quite well on my feelings for such musical devices. Those games were fun when the industry was younger, but they’ve become quickly outgrown.

Inserting a GameBoy back into the modern market?

Isn’t that what Soulja Boy did…?

"Nostalgia is truly one of the great human weaknesses…second only to the neck" - Dwight Schrute - The Office

3 Likes

I dunno… Elektron offer several machines with sample inputs. Buy one of those if it’s a big enough priority. Heck, I have an OT, which is a dream sampler and sometimes (often) I prep stuff in the computer first, then transfer those sounds. Maybe a few hours spent prepping sounds to load into the M:S could yield weeks of raw materials to write with. Lots of well loved ‘portable’ gear doesn’t have sample inputs. Tough for me to judge as I don’t write music in coffee shops or public transport.

Funny, I sold my DT recently because it had sat unused since I got an OT. Regretted it a bit right away, but not losing sleep. Just yesterday I was working on a track with a lot of midi sequencing and live sampling the results…tapped out my OT for channels quickly and found myself wishing I had a nice drum machine to quickly work up the (simple) beat that was in my head. M:S might be a cool way to go for that

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Gaming [spin-off topic]

So within a couple of hours at the first day of NAMM we are gonna see an awesome workout from @cenk on the M:S and after that everybody wants it :grin:

5 Likes

That plus, if anyone just closely listens to the M:S demos on Elektron’s Soundcloud, they’ll start to warm up to the potential. Those demos sound more interesting than most people’s releases/jams made with rooms full of gear.

Comfort and convenience count for a lot. I can imagine lots of folks being very productive on this thing after a long day at work, just chilling on the sofa with feet up, or lounging in a hammock, when otherwise too knackered to go into the studio and switch everything on, sit at a desk, etc… Wonder how much that battery will cost though?

Still don’t like the looks though. Black, angled panel (which would also allow room for full-sized midi ports at the back), all sharp corners, and I would have pre-ordered this thing already (think variation on a Moog Minitaur shaped box). Damn. :cry:

PS - If it doesn’t get OverBridge, I hope it gets an “export stems to DAW” feature.

6 Likes

I hear ya on the looks. I ordered one anyways. Gonna absolUtely plAster it in stickers :smile:

1 Like

I think its ugly too… styleflip needs to do something about this :grin:

Pretty good chance that its class compliant usb audio implementation is multi-track.

2 Likes

Elektron should add that to the info if it’s in there. Big deal for some people. Most mixers that advertise onboard interface tend to only be stereo channels unless specified, so I think a lot of people will assume the same of the MS from the website details.

I’ve said it earlier in this topic, but that’s how I work with my DT most of the time: I prep samples in Ableton and bring them over, with the rare occasion of sampling a YT clip from my phone. I like composing much more on my DT, but sound designing on the computer is much more potent for me. That’s why I find the M:S so enticing, because- with the way I work -I can just quickly load the samples I want and start playing with them immediately, cutting down on programming time.

2 Likes

does it? the Korg Electribe sampler is $20 more. yeah it does stuff the M:S doesn’t, and vice versa. but that’s the closest competition, right?

what cracks me up: M:S manual is 51 pages, OT manual is 189. and when you’re done with the latter, you still need to work through Merlin’s guide to have any prayer of actually using the thing. these things have totally different markets. and that’s fine.

4 Likes

Ping is coming in the 2.0 OS… open beta is ‘soon’!

1 Like

I really like the combination of the Digitakt and the Octatrack…the Digitakt as a Drummaschine and the Octatrack as a Sampler for my Synths cause he can do that in stereo and i really like the concept of this maschine. The new Model Samples is not so the point of view for me to be honest :wink: dont sell stuff to early :smiley:

1 Like

Well yeah, but thats what im saying - looking at what that is capable of compared to the MS id choose the Electribe. Easy to find closer to $300 second hand as it is too. Im not saying the MS is a terrible machine on the inside, far from it - just don’t see how it stands apart yet.

2 Likes

Usability and sound quality. I’ve owned both of the E2’s.

yeah I think we’ll get a better picture of how it stands apart once it’s in the hands of more people, especially more Elektronauts.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare price of used and new, especially for something that isn’t even available yet. in a year, yeah you can probably grab either for $300.

I would love to see this but would be surprised as it steps on the toes of overbridge