Introducing Digitone

LFO maybe?

Yeah now that you guys mention it it’s probably a cheeky one-shot LFO on pitch. Hopefully they’ll manage to implement slide at some point though…

1 Like

Really enjoyed that video between Cuckoo and Simon. Really informative and really nice to see someone presenting something that clearly means an awful lot to them. Very infectious - not that I need it for the DN!

2 Likes

Is the polyphony 2 per track or dynamic?

Pretty certain it’s dynamic but someone else can chime in to confirm.

Clever dynamic or you can set a number of voices per track from 1 to 8

3 Likes

According to the manual both fixed and dynamic voice allocation is possible. You can bind up to all 8 voices to one track or set your preferences for how voices are reassigned aka stolen.

3 Likes

I read the Manual…it can be dynamic but also assignable If you want.

Thanks for responses folks! :thup:

2 Likes

Hopefully by March I’ll be able to find one of these for £500 :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

It’s got twice as many voices as the A4- people have made beautiful tracks with the A4 just with its four voices. Part of the affection of hardware is in its limitations- the tracks I made just using the A4 would have been wildly different if I had had 6 voices instead of 4- I think there’s plenty of voices with this thing to get some really good stuff out of it

2 Likes

Those of you with A4’s, are you adding the DN to your setup?

Yes

Definitely.

Perhaps, if I could afford to.

Is the Pope catholic?

@Ess What record were you referring to in the @cuckoomusic video?

It is! Thanks for the good words!

The Digitakt is for sure getting love, I just got a status update about some bug fixes last night and I am optimistic. It’s an unfortunate situation for sure, and I understand the frustration and perhaps feeling let down/forgotten. I assure all Digitakt users that we have not forgot about you; the Digitakt is one of our most cherished units! Cenk and I had so much fun jamming with the Tone and the Takt yesterday, such a good combo… It’s going to be rock solid as soon as we get these fixes done.

Regarding the dual CPU setup in the Digitone - this was out of necessity. The internal audio engine runs at 32 bit 96khz - to have those 4 operator (essentially four oscillator) 8 voices running smoothly and with good quality (which is very important to us) takes some beef under the hood.

35 Likes

:kissing_heart::+1:

5 Likes

Hmm, I might have been a bit clumsy with my wording here. :smiley:

So, the ‘classic’ (e.g DX7) implementation of FM synthesis was designed as very all-round synth, with a big ambition for re-creating acoustic sounds, something that synthesizers pretty much couldn’t do well at all before that era of synthesis. Recreating complex sounds like acoustic ones requires very complex control - and is hard to program. Back then it was still unclear where electronic music was heading.

The Digitone is designed for where electronic music is today. We have our own voice at this point, and recreating acoustic sounds is not what most electronic musicians are lusting for. Besides, there is lots of software and some hardware that is much better suited for that than FM synthesizers.

That said, you can of course make the classic acoustic-ish bass, organ, brass, keys sounds that you would expect from an FM synth. I had a lot of fun recreating some of these types of patches I have to admit - and they’re quite charming too! It’s nice when they sound typically ‘synthy’ but still reflects an acoustic ideal. (the patch ‘Jerry Bass’, ‘Soft Keys’ and ‘Right Organ’ etc is a great example of this)

21 Likes