Introducing: Digitone Keys

A post was merged into an existing topic: Olibol’s aggressive posting

no hate, more lack of understanding the design decision…

1 Like

the portamento sounds fantastic

4 Likes

This is actually one of the most fun and expressive monosynths I’ve ever played

2 Likes

And all of these synths, with their unusual placement of controls, sound fantastic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s how they get you, iterative engineering!

Literally just got a Digitone. I paid $560 for mine new though so from a financial standpoint the upgrade just doesn’t make sense.

And yet… nah I’m gonna resist this one and focus on what I have.

A keyboard isn’t going to suddenly make one a hit.

can you filter incoming audio? don’t think so
can you polychain DN with DK? don’t think so
can we finally have midi arp and random arp? don’t think so
can you assign multiple knobs to one knob? don’t think so

So after all this time we finally get portamento! A few presets pff, most things we could do with external keys so basically this thing offers nothing extra, only the indiv outputs

I really like the wood used for that table :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not being a current Digitone owner, who owns a lot of Elektron gear – the Digitone Keys looks like a natural fit for me. (I love my AK and am keeping it.)

I wonder for those that own a Digitone, especiallly if you just bought it, do you think you’d have made a different choice if you’d known the Digitone Keys was on the way?

2 Likes

The Audio engine is exactly the same.

The only extra which is really special to the DK are the two CONTROL IN inputs for sustain/expression pedals, footswitches, or CV.

2 Likes

No magical box will help you make a hit. You are either the catalyst or inhibitor.

So quit waiting for the magical solution and make music. Huge hits have been made with VERY little and limiting gear combined with hugely creative minds.

6 Likes

I see the advantage of the Keys but would have to go with the module for the form factor (same as with the A4) PLUS you could get a second Digitone for the price of the Keys and have a 16 voice setup.

OR a Digitone plus Minilogue XD.

3 Likes

Not the best looking machine, but a keyboard does make sense for the Digitone. FM Synthesis combined with velocity and after touch makes for a great combo. However, the price is WAY too high! Maybe $1000 would seem more appropriate. I’ll stick with my OG Digitone. The OS 1.20 is pretty nice though!!! Portamento!!!

Furthermore, I would never see myself lay the Digitone Keys on my lap and jam with it. The Digitone’s size is a good part of the appeal to me personally.

4 Likes

Full successful songs have been released using gear without a song mode but people still seem obsessed by it…it doesn’t bother me ,
sorry to divert the thread a little.

4 Likes

It is the exact same price as the Yamaha MODX6 61-key. (As BoBeats suggested.) Just for comparison of what you can get in an FM synth.

1 Like

Well then, the ModX6 is too expensive also!

1 Like

I agree, just gotta look at the price of modern midi keyboards out there and do the math.

3 Likes

I just bought a digitone a few weeks ago. It is great and I love it as it is. I like the quirky design of the digitone keys, but the keyboard and a few extra knobs and wheels don’t justify the price increase for me. I also don’t care for individual outs. I would still prefer the original digitone. The only thing I’d like to have on the original are black sequencer buttons on the bottom row, those look much better on the digitone keys.

6 Likes

Thank’s @Jukka ! Your’e welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

where we can download new presets ?

2 Likes