Introducing: Digitone Keys

I would rather have this than the Digitone that I already have, but not for that price. That’s way too high. Should cost a bit less than what they take for an A4 imo. That would be more fair :slight_smile:

5 Likes

why didn´t the place the wheels on the right and the digitonemodul on the left, it would be much better…if you want to place it beside…

i cant imagine to play this thing, nothing is in the place, you will be always switching from this to this. digitone on a laptopplace in front of a keystep, here we go.

3 Likes

Yeet!

so…do the new presets come with the OS…meaning will they be on the DN little guy? or are these presets for DNK only?

As i understand it they’re free for both.

But don’t quote me all this new stuff is fogging my brain.

I want to believe their marketing research showed that digitone users were keyboard players… somehow my experience of elektron users has shown this not to be true… looks sexy though :slight_smile: I look forward to a demo with someone that can play the keys :slight_smile:

3 Likes

tite!

Def feels the shoehorning in of a retrofit dn rather than a bespoke layout. I agree more spread out at the top would been nicer, a toggle between user and control knobs perhaps. tracks and page on right, wheels on left. still tempted however :thinking:

1 Like

why??

21 Likes

Because most people tend to play right-handed?

3 Likes

my fault…i normally use both hands.

11 Likes

My hunch on this was it was an engineering decision more than an ergonomic one.

If you look at the whole things it looks like they could reuse the Digitone front panel board and put all the rest around it. The Monomachine SFX-6 is similar The old AK had more custom stuff done to make that layout and that adds cost and time to the development.

You’d have to open one up and open up a regular Digitone and compare to confirm this, so class this an educated hunch. As an engineer who often looks for ways to make multiple uses on one design i admire this.

ADDED: You make a good point for rearranging the sides DanielXiang. Good thinking!

MORE ADDED: For more on the real reasons see this much further down the thread.

AND EVEN MORE ADDED: I did a side by side image of the two Digitone fron panels here.

3 Likes

with that kind of thinking you do not the best products…maybe good one, but not the best.

2 Likes

Some of my most productive times some years back were using the SFX6 Monomachine keyboard as my “main brain” to just switch on and get as much of a song going as I could within the confines of the machine, then I added things on, very prudently, and ended playing some great shows with the SFX6 as the core:

Monomachine keyboard, Jomox kick drum module, Kaoss Pad 3, microphone…it was great!

I think I want to resuscitate that setup with the Digitone Keys as the main brain. There’s something about the integration that gets the workflow going…

9 Likes

I’ll try that now for almost 40 years (even owning an 88 key hammer action).

But it still won’t work out. Maybe after the next 40 years … :smiley:

1 Like

It’s fairly typical to use the left hand little finger on the mod wheel and the left thumb playing a bass note, with the right hand playing melody. Your arrangement DX allows that.

Dude I have one of these and the front controls are excellent! Especially the filter controls. I think the DN Keys looks awesome, can’t understand the hate about the form factor. So quirky and cool!

5 Likes

Most often true but not always.