Introducing: Digitone Keys

C root bass line could use the low f note also :yum: but really, it is not that important on a sequencer based synth that has keyboard on it just as secondary convenient function.

Actually, I would dance to this tune in da club!

8 Likes

Everything starts with an E.

1 Like

Iā€™ve ā€œredesignedā€ the Monomachine SFX-6 based on what people think the Digitone Keys should look like.

10 Likes

Not bad. I would probably hold on to my day job for a while longer if I were you, but there is some potential there. Ever considered applying for a job at Elektron?

hahahahaha

But Iā€™m a ā€œproduct designerā€! I know this stuff man! They should get me to write the manuals as well, because Iā€™m also a ā€œtechnical writerā€.

I tried, but they called the police after I spent all day out the front of their offices shouting ā€œESS! Iā€™VE GOT THE NEW DESIGNS!ā€. I even got them all printed up on A1 paper and bound into a folio, including my controversial ā€œMachinedrum EWIā€ design. Not fair. I spent a lot of money on that printing.

11 Likes

And now you Work for Claviaā€¦

:wink:

Seriously! Some product Designer needs to Help Out MFB with their UI problemsā€¦

Hereā€™s my temp rig right now. Thinking of throwing out the Heat and sliding in the Digitone instead.

I love the Reface keyboard but miss the polyphony of a strange but wonderful synth with a sequencer to boost. But not sure the Digitone Keys justifies the cost, when Iā€™m pretty close to such a rig as is, already.

What do you guys think?

1 Like

I would go for a module, and spend the rest on digitakt. Win - win situation :man_with_turban:ā€ā™‚< this is supposed to be an indian guy, but instead , this is what the forum app made of it :rofl:

1 Like

I assume you have only two hands.
I might would use that kit as it is and get the digitone box. You can use the digitone then to sequence the cs. because a midi sequencer seems to be missing. If you use all four midi tracks on the digitone it can sequence chords tooā€¦ (sometimes i donā€™t get it what elektron is thinking)

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: nah, Iā€™m not going for a Digitakt. Iā€™m good on the sampling side, I just want some decent polyphony with a straight on sequencer.

Thereā€™s 8 voice polyphony on the Digitone midi tracks

1 Like

Thatā€™s a solid idea, though I wonā€™t be using the Reface as a synth in this context. Lack of onboard presets makes it more or a live instrument for me, as well as just a great way to play the Rytm chromatically.

So the above rig works pretty well for me as is, though from time to time, I miss a proper synth with a proper sequencer, and presets and that stuff then.

1 Like

yes, but two polys are better than one.
and you could use one track on the digitone as baseline, one as arp, and,ā€¦ you get the idea. it opens up with both of them. And you can use the cs as keyboard for the digitone aswell. win win

1 Like

oh, now i get it sry. i only did some trickery with my digitone and a mb33. (layering miditracks to get a LOT of variation in one pattern only is a nice way to do this). Normally i use octa for sequencing.

1 Like

The Reface is a great synth, for sure. But I do feel the Digitone appears so complete in sound and concept, that I wouldnā€™t need another poly if I had that one. Only to be able to play it, without shelling out for a Digitone Keys, would be enough.

But Iā€™m an FM idiot. Iā€™ve tried it in the store. I have no idea what Iā€™m doing. That might be frustrating in the long run. A friend tried to explain FM synthesis to me. Afterwards, we both wept and hugged but I was none the wiser. The store owner explained FM synthesis to me. Iā€™ve heard heā€™s lost the will to live now.

So yeah. Thereā€™s that to consider, too.

Well, of all the fm i tried (werenā€™t that much) the digitone was my easiest one to grasp.
Volca fm was my first one. I hated it. It didnā€™t connect with me or other way around.
I had an reface dx, that was nice to program, but no space and too much keyboards laying around - it had to go.
Digitone: easier to program, and that fitering afterwards helps to tame that roaring beast.
There arenā€™t too much options you can fiddle around with itā€™s engine, i guess with a little bit of time everyoneā€™s get it.
Well, and there are a lot of presets (you can download too) that you can take as starting point.

2 Likes

you mentioned that part of the design motivation was a nod towards the tradition of the SFX6 design. can you tell us why you opted for wheels over a joystick? I know many people (myself included) loved that aspect of the SFX6 and Analog Keys.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/products/mds-series-modular-device-stands.html

Looks like this will fit your needs?