Introducing Digitakt

Sorry if it’s been asked but impossible to monitor all posts. So many.
If sampling a sound from a synth does it automatically assign it to middle c? Or a specific key? Can you change the note it’s assigned to?

For example I sample a hardware synth, one short note in the key of A, can I state somewhere in the sample settings that its A so I can play it in key chromatically?

Or do I need to sample all notes in C?

Thanks

I found moving things around in the grid view to be really difficult to get perfect on the Live… Maybe I just have fat fingers lol

Andreas thank you for your post, they’ve been super informative and well-written! I have the feeling I’ll end up down the same road… for what I’ve heard, I love Digitakt’s sound… on the OT, I always ended up struggling to get some good reverb/delay settings… these seem a lot better/deeper in DT, a bit darker - more AR I think…?

1 Like

I’ve ordered these little trinkets to see if I can power it from my Anker 20000mAh 5V power bank…

The manual says it needs 12V 1A 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel.

2 Likes

I’d imagined I’d probably ‘select’ events via screen then use the knobs to move stuff. Does that workflow feel a little clunky too?

I found using the “select” tool was easy to highlight big chunks of the pattern, but if I wanted to select individual notes or small blocks of notes, it was fiddly at best. It frustrated me.

Yeah I can imagine it being pretty fiddly for pin point selection on a busy grid :confused: Possibly something that adds a ‘pro’ to grabbing Beatmaker 3 on ipad instead. Bigger screen…

If a bluetooth active stylus could be made to work on the live, it’d be great!

1 Like

Thanks for the review!
This is the time I’ve been waiting for. You say it can replace the OT. Admittedly I do not use all the features of the OT. I have used time stretch effects on the OT. I couldn’t find anything in the DT manual about this.

How does the DT do with timestretching? Does it do anything similar to the OT? What about slicing? (also not in manual)

I would like to replace the OT with something with a nicer workflow.

it doesn’t do either, at least for now, and I wouldn’t count on it.

Curiously, an OLED screen goes a long way to enhance this feeling. When building my Midibox Seq, I originally used LCD displays (like in the Octatrack). The milliseconds of fade-out fade-in (like a screen refresh slew) when changing screens made it feel terribly slow/cumbersome. Just swapping out LCD for OLED screens immediately made the device feel “snappy” or “faster”. Even though the only thing that changed was the display, it became sooo much more enjoyable to use. I wish the OT/AR/A4 screens could more easily be replaced with OLEDs.

5 Likes

There is another thread going on and it looks like you can hook up a midi cable between the out and in and have the Digitakt send program changes to itself. So you can get something similar to pattern chains but have the Digitakt “remember” it. You can also apply trig conditions so the pattern change only happens after the pattern plays 1/2/3/4 times.

1 Like

Thanks for the write up. Good read.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s very nice of you to say. Yes, the fx in Digitakt, while not as many, are superior to the OT’s. I’d break it down as to say that the reverb and the delay are in AR / A4 class. The bit crusher compares to the lo-fi effect of the Octatrack, but is just generally better. And the overdrive is a dist of sorts - not entirely, but kind of - and again, just way better than the OT’s. The filters are different, though. I always liked the Octatrack’s filter, they added a certain punch and character I’ve not heard elsewhere. The filters in the DT are what you can expect. They’re good, but I know that some just love the OT filters and if they’re essential to your sound, you won’t get the same in the DT.

It doesn’t do time stretch or slicing on its own. There are ways around it, though.

You can sort of mess with the LFO to get a time stretch of sorts, just playing with the start point of the sample to make it match the bpm of the track. It works, but you’ll know that this is not really time stretch as you want it to be. In the end, I think this workaround is more a clever trick than a way to say “Look, it time stretches, just differently!”

Slicing can kind of be done. Not automatically, but the granularity of the encoders make it really easy to located start points of the samples, and by using p-locks, you can then switch between different points of a sample within the same track, as you would with slices.

But again, you’ll know it’s not the convenience of proper slicing as such. It’s just that you can work with slices and the idea of them, but very differently.

If these are killer features for you, I’d recommend to approach the DT with some caution. The OT is superior in these regards.

It makes a world of difference, for sure.

Yes, I’m glad I didn’t cancel. Don’t remember me being upset about anything, but maybe I was, and good thing I came to my senses, then.

Oh dear - guess what’s coming tomorrow!

(hint, Juno have them in stock!)

2 Likes

To stick or twist with that Elektron order I have…