Introducing Digitakt

Also Simon was in the IRC chat and i didnt get the impression it wasnt a synth.

Al he said was that you cant layer sound and samples like on the rytm.

2 Likes

He also said they are still working on the synth engine so cannot comment further on it.

6 Likes

Exactly, its pretty safe to say it makes sounds as well.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a Casio RZ-1 for the 21st Century.

thatā€™s a good thing btw.

Cute little box - as a RYTM owner itā€™s of little interest to me ( nowā€¦if the sampling was stereoā€¦) but Iā€™, hoping we just get a proper, painless way to dump samples** across to the RYTM, seeing
as thatā€™s the flagship drum machine still :wink:

[ ** yes - SDS drop is great, but I still think Elektron should be doing a proper solution ]

1 Like

Personally, I like what we know about the new box so far. Even though my initial enthusiasm has waned a little due to not knowing about the synth capabilities, but Iā€™m sure this wonā€™t be the first Elektron machine that at least at second glance doesnā€™t have enough tricks up itā€™s sleeve to appeal to both Elektron veterans and newcomers alike. I can totally see a synth engine becoming available in a later OS revision, probably not as deep as on their full size/full price machines, but complex enough to suck new customers into the p-locking the s#hit out of sounds crazyness that we all love the exisiting machines for. And Iā€™m fairly sure I wonā€™t be able to pass it over once itā€™s available at my local music store. Same thing happened with the AH for me. And a few minutes after hooking it up to my setup I knew why.

2 Likes

Yes tech drops in price rather quickly. Also they are a little bigger and with the price point they will probably sell more. So they have a bit more buying power, they can get components for less money then they did before.

Sorry, cannot elaborate. You will have to make do with the specifications currently available until we have further information.

9 Likes

Rytm is awesome. get a sequencer on top and stop complaining.

Ughā€¦ Weird but fair enoughā€¦

Edit - Not asking for specifics of things that might change during development :wink: Just whether people are right to interpret the current phrasing as indicating this is has a sound engine onboard?

When I first read it I took it for granted as yes, but others have interpreted talk from vids etc as it being a ā€˜noā€™ā€¦ Is this really something that canā€™t be cleared up?

Esp considering that it seems like it does have an engine judging from the official release phrasing and hardware case. Like if having an engine is a secret, it wasnā€™t kept very well :wink: or if it doesnā€™t, why let people get hopes up for more than is coming? Just annoying that even post-teaser something as huge as this is still unknown/ambiguousā€¦

4 Likes

whatā€™s not proper about SDS Drop?
You mean something with Elektron branding?

4 Likes

Dataline stated in several videos that they were very proud of the updated button/knobs mechanics which turned to be much more durable than those on previous machines. Why? Are the buttons and knobs on Analog gears ā€œvulnerableā€? I find those tiny tools robust and massive enough to trust them not being broken easily for many-many years :slight_smile:
While I donā€™t doubt that they have improved the mechanics a lot, this ā€œmuch more durableā€ statement seems to me just a hype :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah but they could simplify without slimming down the creative stuff - Amount of LFO, performance/scenes etc. And also increase other stuff alongside competitors. Sample ram/connectivity etc. Not just cuts across every aspect or staticā€¦

Seems very odd to not even be able to confirm whether there are plans to give it some sort of synth engine without divulging anything more. Itā€™s undecided I guess.

1 Like

My thoughts too. Seems like they showed it prematurely tbhā€¦

Simplified workflow without sacrificing depth is really one thing Iā€™m hoping for. E.g., Sampling should be possible with the fewest possible button presses. I love how the OP-1 works in that department.

2 Likes

Could be similar to what they did with the +Drive on the A4. It was inside the machine all along, but the software only started supporting it a few months after launch. Personally, I like this approach, as long as the product does what it says on the box. Everything else is a bonus.

1 Like

Thing is that people donā€™t know how to interpret what it says on the box :wink:

Itā€™s like if the A4 was called ā€˜A4 might or might not have a +drive inside of itā€™ :wink:

1 Like

He also mentioned the knobs were higher resolution.

Itā€™s cuts, plain and simple. Gets a bit like bubble land in here sometimes :wink: 3 lfo vs 1 isnā€™t gonna make a box less immediate.

Everyone loved the old boxes cos they had loads of depth, now everyone is saying they love the new stuff because they are less deep and have same kind of depth as competitor hardware that people used to slate in comparison to the old Elektron hardware??! Kind of funny to watch/readā€¦

2 Likes

I wonder if the new higher quality encoders will appear on newly produced A4/RYTM/AHā€™s or if they will keep getting the lower quality encoders.